220 Gallon Cichlid Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hdultra said:
Well if that is the case I will use the filter media from my 55 gallon tank.
I have the 2 Marineland 280 in there with 2 filters in each. And also I have my Fuval 405 also. I'm hoping to cycle the tank in a short period of time.

Are you doing fish-less cycle? If yes, you will need to feed the essential bacteria. So, you will still need to buy ammonia. I did the same thing with my 33g. I used 1 cartridge from my 350.

I was hoping to get away with not putting chemicals in the tank.
But it looks like I'm going to have to. I was just hoping I could speed up the process. I'm not going to add fish until it's ready. Guess I need to go get some ammonia.

I read that some people use shrimp for ammonia. You might want to check on that.

People do use shrimp, but shrimp tend to smell really bad. IMO, ammonia is the best thing to use. If you use some media from an established tank, and keep the ammonia at 4ppm until your cycle is complete, you'll have a nice healthy colony of bacteria that should support a big initial stocking plan.

People do use shrimp, but shrimp tend to smell really bad. IMO, ammonia is the best thing to use. If you use some media from an established tank, and keep the ammonia at 4ppm until your cycle is complete, you'll have a nice healthy colony of bacteria that should support a big initial stocking plan.

I'll go out and get the ammonia, and raise the ammonia at 4.0 ppm.

I was trying to get it done quickly because the fish in the 55 are starting to fight. The were getting along nicely up in till about a week ago. There is allot of lip locking going on. Some of them seem to have doubled in size over the last month.

All the cycling stuff aside. Your tank is looking beautiful. I never thought the black background would look very good, But with that lighting, it looks pretty spectacular. I can hardly wait until it's stocked.
Your going to have quite the showcase when you've finished.

If you pull some media from an established tank, you're most likely going to have a very short cycle. In my 40b I just set up, I pulled a filter off the tank I took down (it was where my 40b is now), took 2 cups full of sand out of my 150g, got the temp to 78, and added a pair of angels the same day. I've been testing my ammonia and nitrite every morning and evening, and have yet to see any problems. I have been doing water changes every 2 days, but that's because I've been told by multiple people that angels grow much quicker with frequent water changes.

All the cycling stuff aside. Your tank is looking beautiful. I never thought the black background would look very good, But with that lighting, it looks pretty spectacular. I can hardly wait until it's stocked.
Your going to have quite the showcase when you've finished.

Thanks Wendi,

I'm putting the 3D background on hold for now. It was going to take to much time to get it. And the install, they said I would have to take the cap off my tank. I didn't see that happening. I'm picking up the sand today @
Home « Malawi Aquatics International . I hope to get some decor there. After that I'm going to the Nursery for some stones. And then my local Petsmart for some plants, Couple of real ones, just to see what happens. And the some fake ones. I would like to make some terraces and step up the landscape.
I have to go to Home Depot to pick up some egg crate also. I thought about using it to build up the floor to make terraces. I'm not sure if it is going to work. Well see.
Thanks for your input.

If you pull some media from an established tank, you're most likely going to have a very short cycle. In my 40b I just set up, I pulled a filter off the tank I took down (it was where my 40b is now), took 2 cups full of sand out of my 150g, got the temp to 78, and added a pair of angels the same day. I've been testing my ammonia and nitrite every morning and evening, and have yet to see any problems. I have been doing water changes every 2 days, but that's because I've been told by multiple people that angels grow much quicker with frequent water changes.

That is cool. I will do that. I don't want to cause a mini cycle in my 55.
The water in there is pristine. I finally got control over the diatoms. At least I was able to slow them down a great deal. I have to get the bully's out of there soon. or I'm going to have death's. I can't believe that they are suddenly turning on each other.

Thanks Man For All Your Input!!!!!!

Thanks Wendi,

I'm putting the 3D background on hold for now. It was going to take to much time to get it. And the install, they said I would have to take the cap off my tank. I didn't see that happening. I'm picking up the sand today @
Home « Malawi Aquatics International . I hope to get some decor there. After that I'm going to the Nursery for some stones. And then my local Petsmart for some plants, Couple of real ones, just to see what happens. And the some fake ones. I would like to make some terraces and step up the landscape.
I have to go to Home Depot to pick up some egg crate also. I thought about using it to build up the floor to make terraces. I'm not sure if it is going to work. Well see.
Thanks for your input.
This may be a no no for me to say, I'm not sure, but check out www.bigalsonline.com . They have some of the best prices I've seen and a good selection of plants and decor. I built my entire Tinfoil Barb tank with their stuff. I even got a couple terraces there, for my Cichlid tank. They looked cheesy when out of the tank but in the tank with the sand/gravel on it and a few small plants it looks cool. They also carry some nice looking caves and some rock formations.
They process orders quickly and it takes about 5 working days to get your order.
Plus it's delivered to your front door, no walking around.
Oh, they also give points with every order that gets you discounts on future orders. On the stuff we always need, like Prime for the PWC or medications. They carry and deliver just about everything.

I have not ordered there yet. I have browsed there sight thou, and did see some interesting things.

I picked up my substrate today. And a bunch of rock (60)lbs from the LFS.
I'll post pics of it tomorrow. I got some under gravel LED's to light up the rocks at night, blues and greens.

I have not ordered there yet. I have browsed there sight thou, and did see some interesting things.

I picked up my substrate today. And a bunch of rock (60)lbs from the LFS.
I'll post pics of it tomorrow. I got some under gravel LED's to light up the rocks at night, blues and greens.
It sounds beautiful. More pics please.

I took some pictures after I washed all the rocks I got.
I need to go out and find some more . But at least it's a start.

Let me know what you think. I think it will look better in the tank.
I hung a bunch of fake plants off it. Just to see what it might look like.

Attachments

• DSC00543.jpg
    DSC00543.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC00542.jpg
    DSC00542.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 119
I got the substrate from the LFS. It's not what I wanted. Let me know if it will work for the cichlids.

It is Carib Sea, Eco Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate.
Eco-Complete Plant Substrate

It's going to make my PH neutral. What do you think. Keep it or take it back.

OK after Jim's post below I'm sending back the substrate to the LFS.
I'm going to get: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=285

It's still going to be black with white sand.

Last edited:
Looks like you're off to a really good start. The tank looks great. I'm curious to see the undergravel LEDs.

I've forgotten what you're going to stock. I'm assuming you're going with SA cichlids and not the africans. EcoComplete would be a waste of money with africans. (I hate to think about what EcoComplete for a 220g costs.) They'll just eat the plants anyways.

That's what I thought. I will be stocking Africans. I will have to take this stuff back. I was thinking it was wrong when I went into the store.
Just another delay. The price on this stuff was $340. Thanks for your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom