Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Question 220 Gallon Cichlid Tank Build

It's everyone fault here at AA. The urge to have more than a couple tanks.

1. I'm wanting to get a 150 Gallon aquarium.
Well I was talked into a 220 Gallon Tank
I found it at: Home ę Malawi Aquatics International.
Marineland Tank with Solid Oak Stand $1300.00

2. I know about the filtration, but what brand do you think will flow and filter the right amount of water. And with the best filtering options.
Getting these: 2 Fluval XF5's

3. Lighting: I want the best possible lighting for freshwater. I really like some of your tanks with the moon lights. but I want the day lights to be bright.

4. Heater I'm Thinking 350 watt something. No Brand Preference.
Adding 2 300 watt heaters thanks.

5. Putting in my larger African Cichlid's.
Some of them are growing pretty fast.

6. Substrate

7. I'm wanting some live plants? But have never had them.
I also know that I'm going to be limited.
Need to know how to plant. And how to take care of them.

I'm just wanting to figure were to buy. Brand suggestions etc.
And if there is anything I missed.

Thanks in Advance for Suggestions.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

If you weren't so far away, I'd offer to sell you mine. I'd check craigslist. I got my 150g for $225 with stand, glass tops, heater, and a bunch of other stuff. Got both my Fluvals (305 and 405) for $25 each as well.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
If you weren't so far away, I'd offer to sell you mine. I'd check craigslist. I got my 150g for $225 with stand, glass tops, heater, and a bunch of other stuff. Got both my Fluvals (305 and 405) for $25 each as well.
That would be cool if we were close. I have been watching craigslist, just nothing there.

My LFS now only sell's the fish now. There going to all pond's and moving out of the aquarium business. Most of the other ones don't stock aquariums.
What do you think 2 Fluval 405's or a fx5.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Is this going to be a 5' 150g or a 6' 150g? Mine's 5' and I have the 305 and 405. I'd much prefer the fx5. I think in a 6' tank though, that you would probably be better off with 2 filters than 1.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Is this going to be a 5' 150g or a 6' 150g? Mine's 5' and I have the 305 and 405. I'd much prefer the fx5. I think in a 6' tank though, that you would probably be better off with 2 filters than 1.
Yes I agree. I think I'll price out 2 FX5 Fluvals.
Do they have flow control ?

Cool that's one thing out of the way.

Thanks man.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd look at more than one heater also. That way if one goes on the blink, there will still be some heat.

Look on ebay too. You never know when a private individual or a closely business near you may list something to suit your needs.

I see 100+ on there all the time, but I'm just too far away to take advantage of a good deal.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudraker
I'd look at more than one heater also. That way if one goes on the blink, there will still be some heat.

Look on ebay too. You never know when a private individual or a closely business near you may list something to suit your needs.

I see 100+ on there all the time, but I'm just too far away to take advantage of a good deal.
Thanks mud I'll check that out. Would that be two 300watt.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have enough cash after everything else I'd go for two 300s. That way you could continue to heat at full temp. If not, two smaller ones is better than just one big one IMO.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudraker
If you have enough cash after everything else I'd go for two 300s. That way you could continue to heat at full temp. If not, two smaller ones is better than just one big one IMO.
Good deal I will add it to the list. thanks mud
Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I'm in the same boat - planning a big tank, but with no resources at hand.

Tags
20 gallon, 220, 220 gallon, build, cichlid, filtration, gallon, ich, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com