225-300 GPH Powerhead for 15gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmonkey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking for a powerhead, and then realized that I have no idea how powerful it should be. so I remembered that there was a thread in the "Getting Started- Saltwater" section of the forums about all the things you need for a saltwater tank. so i looked at what it said about powerheads and it said this (copied and pasted):

"The use of a power head to move your water is necessary with a SW tank and a tank turn over of 15-20 times for FO/FOWLR/REEF is good since all benefit from good current. I would get at least two. Point them upwards and at each other to create a slight ripple on the surface for good oxygen exchange and convulsing currents. If the PH doesn't come with a pre-filter/screen then consider adding a sponge to keep fish/inverts/sand from getting sucked into it."

What I want to know is if for my 15 gallon tank, a 225-300 gph powerhead would be good, based upon what is said above. thanks for the help

I like lots of flow so I would aim for 20x-30x turnover for a reef. My 20g high has 55x turnover. As the article stated, it is better to get 2 than 1 to create a better, more chaotic flow.

ok then thanks for the info. ill use that when i get my powerhead. thanks.
so I guess I am going to get two powerheads of 300-450 gph.

Back
Top Bottom