25 gallon lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaxy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to figure out the strength of lighting I will need for an upcoming 25 gallon reef tank. The tank is a stretched octagon that is 29.5 long and 15.5 high. I know a lot of your lighting depends on what your livestock consists of. I guess I would like to be able to know that I could pick up an anemone or an lps coral on a whim, without having to upgrade my lighting system. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!!

Just to clarify a little, I am looking to go LED. I am currently looking at the marineland reef capable LED lighting system. It is the 24" - 36" model. 23 white LEDs (1 watt) and 4 blue LEDs (1 watt). 1670 lumens, and lamp dimensions are 23" x 5.25" x 0.5".

Anyone have experience with this unit?

Thanks

Thanks Carey, I will look more into that. I was a little sceptical that the marineland fixture would not omit enough light myself.

Hmmm. I am not sure if I could mount it from my ceiling or not. I think am more in the market for a fixture I can rest on my tank.

I couldnt mount my led fixture either, vaulted ceilings. I used two metal brackets that i suspended the light from. here is the 60g with the light panel

img_1971172_0_938d24307fcd771137c2a7f273833f9f.jpg

Did those metal brackets cost about as much as the leds Carey, I saw some similar ones that looked really nice but were really expensive.

yeah, they are current hanging bars, cost $90 from pet solutions. :-( You could do your own if you can bend rebar or some other metal. :)

Those look good, sometimes it's worth it to spend a little. Those make the aquarium look nice and tidy. I was thinking about different ways to build my own light hangers. If your lighting looks cobbled together it cheapens the look of the whole aquarium imo.

I agree completely. :)

With the 60g cube build I went a little overboard so that it would be my masterpiece lol. Didnt wanna have it look cluttered so I didnt do much DIY work on it. Cost more but I have to say i am almost satisfied with the look. lol

Sorry kinda off topic/thread jacking but this will be my last off topic post,
Carey I would wire tie the light cord, that would clean it up a little bit.
I've got wires hanging all over my tank so I know how it is, but yours is clean so wire tires would make a difference mine is so cobbled you wouldn't notice if I tied the wires lol

Back
Top Bottom