25 gallon tank on a stand designed for 20?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VanWinK1LL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey folks. First post here.

I just upgraded from an 8 gal desktop aquarium to a 25 gallon. I purchased the tank and a stand, which match up dimension-wise (24"L x 13"W), but the stand is advertised as a 20 gallon aquarium stand.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I'd like to check and see if this might pose a problem. Realistically, if a stand is meant for a 20 gallon tank, will and extra 5 gallons make a difference? Like I said, the dimensions on the 25 gallon are the same as a 20 gallon, it's just taller.

Here's a link to the stand I purchased. Petco Newport Wooden Tank Stand - Aquarium Stand and Fish Tank Stand from petco.com

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

hard to say just by looking at the stand, however 5 gallons equals about 40 pounds of extra weight, so that could make a big enough difference.

it may be a bit more top heavy since its taller something to look into
I have a 37g bowfront on a 30 g stand its a little shaky but I also have it counter weighted on the bottom
I keep saying I'm going to build a wooden sand but still haven't
I'm just afraid the dog may knock into it an I have a big puddle one day cause it is shaky
its the center tank also have a plywood board under it that its balanced on front and back so it overhangs a hair front and back
img_2458734_0_dc2fd7d28ec7841fa30092538e37044e.jpg

Thanks!

@54seaweed, I think I may try to add some weight to the bottom of the stand. Not sure what yet. I could use my now empty 8 gal for a counterweight (I was thinking about setting it up as a quarantine tank anyway).

I just question the structural integrity of some of this build you're own furniture, which is kinda' silly since almost everything in my apartment is from Ikea.

Anyway, I'm not handy at all so, any suggestions on ways to make this a bit sturdier? just to ease my anxiety a bit?

the tank next to it I built that stand nothing will move it lol
it's in my build tread below in my signature its the link below round 2

Back
Top Bottom