265 gallon bracing suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JraGold

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 265 gallon aquarium dimensions are 72"l x 24w x 36 t. I added euro braces to it about 3 weeks ago and 1 cracked on me this past Friday.. Just looking for suggestions on how other aquariums this size are braced?.

This particular aquarium did not have any braces on it when I acquired it. But I have to brace it! Wouldn't be able to sleep if I didnt..

Any suggestions are appreciated. Oh and gettin rid of it isn't really an option as its sitting in my rec room now and was a royal pita to get there! Haha.

image-1017821024.jpg

I use 2x4s to brace my tank with.

image-3891552939.jpg

If you look in the middle you can see my middle brace I used three on my 125 to be extra safe

I'm just worried about the height adding so much more pressure to the glass. Think I need even pressure along all edges.

I've never seen a tank quite like this one. Do you know if it was a custom tank? Can you find a manufacturer's label on it anywhere? If you can find the manufacturer, you may be able to order the trim for it.

I've never seen a tank quite like this one. Do you know if it was a custom tank? Can you find a manufacturer's label on it anywhere? If you can find the manufacturer, you may be able to order the trim for it.

There is no labels of any sort on it anywhere... When I bought it it had the black plastics but just the perimeter pieces. I think theres too much pressure for those little plastic cross members. It just snapped a 3" x1/2" pc of glass. I have a 4" on the face edge and will most likely put a 4" on the back edge as well. Just wondering if I should be adding more bracing...

I'm just worried about the height adding so much more pressure to the glass. Think I need even pressure along all edges.
maybe a tight fighting frame around the top with the center traces. Of you can find the trim for it I'd do that but if it's custom like mine your going to need to make it

image-1699377584.jpg

This is what it looked like before brace broke

Any chance it was a custom reptile tank?

That said, all the euro braced 6' tanks I have seen have 2 glass braces. Maybe try that?

Plastic is allot stronger than you think and it has a bit of give to it unlike glass. With a tank like yours I would have a plastic rim with 2 cross members built in unless you got the tank for dirt cheap.

Any chance it was a custom reptile tank?

That said, all the euro braced 6' tanks I have seen have 2 glass braces. Maybe try that?

It was actually built into a wall prior to me owning it. Used as an aquaroum. Fr approx 10 years actually. All tye time it never had any braces at all. I have 2 glass euro braces on it. Well had. A 4" on the face side which kept the front glass nice and straight and the 3" ( I was told 3" was more than enough support) still had a bit of a bow

Plastic is allot stronger than you think and it has a bit of give to it unlike glass. With a tank like yours I would have a plastic rim with 2 cross members built in unless you got the tank for dirt cheap.

Oh I don't doubt glass is strong but they just don't make a frame this size. Biggest is 72"x 18". I need 72" x 24"

I wonder if I would be better off to do something like this?

image-2472770696.jpg

Oh I don't doubt glass is strong but they just don't make a frame this size. Biggest is 72"x 18". I need 72" x 24"

Hmm... maybe send an email to a couple custome tank places to see what production and shipping would be?

They would also probably know the cheapest and best way to do so.

They do make frames that size. I just got rid of a 265 that had a plastic frame with 3 plastic straps running across it.
This one was 7' x 24 x 31 tall.
The picture you posted above is an excellent way to brace it, and is how my 300 is braced.
Here is a look at my old 5' 195 gallon-
img_2681364_0_d5eae1e1a392f04ed9f5e0b0c434306a.jpg

They do make frames that size. I just got rid of a 265 that had a plastic frame with 3 plastic straps running across it.
This one was 7' x 24 x 31 tall.
The picture you posted above is an excellent way to brace it, and is how my 300 is braced.
Here is a look at my old 5' 195 gallon-

That's kind of what I had figured. How thick was the glass that you used for your bracing? And also how thick is the glass on your tank itself. The thickness of glass on mine is only 5/8"..

Back
Top Bottom