29 gallon saltwater setup questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am in the process of setting up my tank and was thinking of drilling my tank for a sump. Since my tank is only 29g do I need a sump? I want to get a protein skimmer and if I get a sump should I use a brand like reef octopus? What is a decent HOB protein skimmer? Do they work as well?

Hi there. :)

i started with a 29g tank as well and found it to be a good size. I used a hang on filter, an aquaclear 50 for it and eventually bought a hang on skimmer, a remora. I grew some crazy corals and the setup worked really well.

Key with a small tank like that and no skimmer is water changes. You have to keep up on them to keep your parameters good.

If you go with a sump reef octopus comes highly recommended. My experience has not been so great with them but it must just be me cause everyone else loves em. LOL

Did you use the HOB filter and HOB skimmer together? Someone told me that HOB and canister filters wind up being nutrient sinks. I'm new to SW so I'm learning.

I started with just the aquaclear and a month or two later got the hang on skimmer. I also ran a canister on my 55g salt tank and managed to keep my nitrates at 0. It's all a matter of balance. If you don't overfeed or overstock a canister can be a great filter. I used to be able to run carbon, gfo ( for phosphates) and filter pads to polish the water. You also have to clean out the canister filters more frequently than you do in freshwater or they will become nitrate factories as people say. :)

Back
Top Bottom