Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
29 gallon tank bowing?

I just set up a brand new 29 gallon glass aquarium I got at walmart, its one of the ones that comes with the flat lid with the LED lights, I checked the floor, and stand and it showed level, when I put water in I noticed there is about a 1/4 drop from one side to the other, just now when I was looking at the lid I noticed that the center of the front and back walls are slightly bowed, I took out my handy dandy tape measure, and at either tend the tank is 1 foot across, in the middle it is showing 1 foot 1/4 inch, so the front is bowed about 1/8 as is the back.

I have looked all around the internet, some people say this is doomsday waiting to happen, others say they have had tanks like this bowed for years and years, one person said they even contacted a manufacturer and was told that some bowing is perfectly normal and it will not compromise structural integrity as long as the top rim of the tank is in tact.

I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on this? is this safe or not? something i need to worry about?

**edit** I did find this

I had the same question awhile ago. Mine was bowing in the center by a 1/4 inch total when filled. It was a used, older tank, so I was concerned.
Had gotten replies on another forum from other 29 gallon owners that have bowing also (for years) with no problems.
I also called Aqueon (formerly AGA) and they told me it is normal too. And 29 gallon tanks do not have a center brace.
Hope that eases your mind.

ZombiesAteMyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion
I kept a 29 for several years that had a similar bow. The taller setup combined with lack of a center brace leads to this I think.

The tank not being level is an issue though. You want to try to solve that.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote

29 gallon, gallon, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com