29g filter options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mekachu04

Aquarium Advice Regular
When i bought my tank, i bought the box setup, so while it came with heater, light, filter, but it didn't tell me the specs for these things.
The heater has since been replaced, and now I'm thinking its time to upgrade the filter.
Despite daily water changes for the last month, and testing four different water clarifiers, i can't get that nice clear water. Its always just a bit hazy.
Under a different suggestion, i stopped outright changing the filter on the hopes it was causing a mini cycle, instead rinsing it in the old wc water and replacing it. It didn't make it worse, but it didn't make it better either.
Still hazy, and the filter needs rinsed out every day, or the water just bypasses over the top. Its also ready to crumble, so this is very much a short term fix. Regardless of what i learn here, i will not keep doing it that way much longer.
The current filter is made by aqueon, but sadly that's all i really know.
My water tests are 7.5ph, .25ppm for am (its what my source water is) and 0 for both the no2 and 3

What do i need to do/buy to fix this haze? Im not against spending money, but I'd like it to be spending a bunch only once on the unit, and minimal on subsequent filters, if possible.
And if i never have to buy chemicals for clear water, that would make me so happy.

Other specs that might be needed:
30x18x12 tank
78.5°f
No real plants (at this time)
5 black loach
2 guppies (and a fry to be added if she lives)
5-7 ghost shrimp
13 danios (assorted long fin and glo)

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1393016581840.jpg
    1393016581840.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 125
Those Aqueon filters don't do much in the way of water polishing. Check out the aquaclear or fluval filters. With the aqua clear you;ll need to use purigen the fluval has a polishing pad I believe.

C4 is great for crystal clear water

Fluval C4 imo.

+1

That's what I have on my fully stocked 29 gallon. It works flawless and makes water crystal clear and polished. Use Seachem Purigen in the chemical chamber. There is lots of room in there ..... I pack two 100 ml Purigen + Seachem Bio-Matrix + Poly-Filter in mine. Also, you can customize the media very easily:

HOB Filtration Photos by Paul1792 | Photobucket

You might be interested in some of the info in this thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...al-filtration-polyfiber-vs-sponge-298083.html

And don't let anyone talk you into an AquaClear. Both filters are made by Hagen but the Aquaclear is a relic from the 1980's and has essentially been made obsolete by the Fluval C series which acts just like a canister filter with separate compartments for each stage of filtration and it is easier to use "cut to fit" custom media. The "basket" in the aquaclears is a mess. It has design flaws that cause the water to bypass the filter media. Go here and see the "plastic & epoxy" cure.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/16100...-filter-media/

There is even a specially desgined aftermarket basket but it costs almost as much as the filter itself:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaCle...ket-AC70MR.htm

In my case, I just used duct tape ... but even then there are other problems: The AquaClear does not polish the water "out of the box" like the Fluval C does because the sponge has the same level of coarseness throughout so it does not get out micron particles that a polishing pad does.

I thank you all, i will get a fluval c4. And paul, thank you double for the links.
When i do get it, should i outright replace my current filter, or should i run them both to let bb build up. And if i go that way, how long until i can remove the old filter?

I thank you all, i will get a fluval c4. And paul, thank you double for the links.
When i do get it, should i outright replace my current filter, or should i run them both to let bb build up. And if i go that way, how long until i can remove the old filter?

I would run both for 4-6 weeks

I would run both for 4-6 weeks
Yes, run both for a while. If you "seed" the new filter with plenty of "old" media from the old filter, it might get you there faster. When I first set up my 29 gallon last August with a C3 (which was subsequently transferred to my 38 gallon) .... I seeded it with media from my 38 gallon's aqua-tech like this:
:
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Paul1792's Album: Paul1792's 29 gallon - Picture

and doing a "fish in" cycle on the new tank took only about 10 days.

You will love the C4! Hopefully you get lucky and have one that is quiet out of the box. Make sure you really rinse the C-Nodes as they can make your water cloudy at first. I don't think I spent enough time on mine, and I had cloudy water for a few days.

I got the same Aqueon kit as you. I have replaced everything but the lighting up to this point, and that's next. Home Depot has a 24" dual t5 fixture for like $25, and it looks like it'll fit in the existing light fixture if you take everything out. I may go that route, or just buy all new lighting, we'll see. I kind of wish I would've pieced it together since a bare 29g is $29 at my lfs, but it's also nice to have a spare heater and filter.

Thank you kindly monkeymonk. Its a collection I've gathered over quite a few years, from both pets stores and hobby stores (i get my thick grasses from micheals xD)

The c4 should arrive by early next week, I've gone ahead and started running a pack of purigen in my current filter-just one day and it was already a gross brown. By my water's already looking much better.
I cant wait until the c4.... I'm so excited.

Thank you all again!

That is a nice tank

Your tank is beautiful!!! I can't believe the plants aren't real. It's just so gorgeous!!!

+1

After you get your new filter and the water clears up, I hope you post a new series of pictures in your album in your profile.

That is a VERY nicely decorated tank twolfsbane. I like tanks that have their own special look ...... and yours seems to be one of those.

I'm a mess of filters and wires at the moment, but i got the c4 today, and its up and running. The c4 is wider, so it didn't initially fit, but i managed to work one corner far enough away from the wall to get it started. There's not enough room on the back for both filters without cutting more off my hood (which i won't do) so I've got my old one hanging of the front.
It looks so bad right now, but its worth it.
Also got the purigen in there, already seeing a huge improvement!

..... so I've got my old one hanging of the front.
It looks so bad right now, but its worth it.
Also got the purigen in there, already seeing a huge improvement!

I had to run my 15 inch long aqua-tech 30-60 on the front for a while for the same reason .... but like you said, it's worth it. Glad to hear the Purigen is working. And don't be disappointed if the polishing pad portion of the poly/fiber mechanical pad clogs up very quickly and the little red button pops up. That is normal the first time or two that you use a polishing pad since it's having to remove a buildup of fine "micron" particles that has accumulated since you first set up your tank.

Not crystal clear yet, but i can clearly read the food can, looking though the tank longways

Attachments

• 1394950451113.jpg
    1394950451113.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 91
I promised pictures once clear-and now that the babies are big enough that i can take the breeder box out- here's my tank!

Attachments

• 1398234039490.jpg
    1398234039490.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 61
Very nice! I love those shelf kits you assemble yourself. I have seen these so many times and almost bit. Do you ever worry about the sharp edges? Seems like they are VERY sharp to me.....

Very nice! I love those shelf kits you assemble yourself. I have seen these so many times and almost bit. Do you ever worry about the sharp edges? Seems like they are VERY sharp to me.....

I love my shelves, never had any issues with the edges, but i don't have big fish either. My biggest issue with the shelves are that my loaches like to try and wedge themselves between the glass and shelf- they don't get stuck, but after a month or so, they've worked the suction cups off the glass, and i have to re-attach them. With the larger kit, you can adjust the support pillar heights- but they don't interlock well, so i ended up having to glue them.

Back
Top Bottom