Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

29g filter options

When i bought my tank, i bought the box setup, so while it came with heater, light, filter, but it didn't tell me the specs for these things.
The heater has since been replaced, and now I'm thinking its time to upgrade the filter.
Despite daily water changes for the last month, and testing four different water clarifiers, i can't get that nice clear water. Its always just a bit hazy.
Under a different suggestion, i stopped outright changing the filter on the hopes it was causing a mini cycle, instead rinsing it in the old wc water and replacing it. It didn't make it worse, but it didn't make it better either.
Still hazy, and the filter needs rinsed out every day, or the water just bypasses over the top. Its also ready to crumble, so this is very much a short term fix. Regardless of what i learn here, i will not keep doing it that way much longer.
The current filter is made by aqueon, but sadly that's all i really know.
My water tests are 7.5ph, .25ppm for am (its what my source water is) and 0 for both the no2 and 3

What do i need to do/buy to fix this haze? Im not against spending money, but I'd like it to be spending a bunch only once on the unit, and minimal on subsequent filters, if possible.
And if i never have to buy chemicals for clear water, that would make me so happy.

Other specs that might be needed:
30x18x12 tank
78.5įf
No real plants (at this time)
5 black loach
2 guppies (and a fry to be added if she lives)
5-7 ghost shrimp
13 danios (assorted long fin and glo)

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1393016581840.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	224007  

Old 02-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those Aqueon filters don't do much in the way of water polishing. Check out the aquaclear or fluval filters. With the aqua clear you;ll need to use purigen the fluval has a polishing pad I believe.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fluval C4 imo.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

C4 is great for crystal clear water

Quote:
Originally Posted by anibis View Post
Fluval C4 imo.
+1

That's what I have on my fully stocked 29 gallon. It works flawless and makes water crystal clear and polished. Use Seachem Purigen in the chemical chamber. There is lots of room in there ..... I pack two 100 ml Purigen + Seachem Bio-Matrix + Poly-Filter in mine. Also, you can customize the media very easily:

HOB Filtration Photos by Paul1792 | Photobucket

You might be interested in some of the info in this thread:

Fluval C series -Custom Media for Mechanical Filtration (polyfiber vs sponge)

And don't let anyone talk you into an AquaClear. Both filters are made by Hagen but the Aquaclear is a relic from the 1980's and has essentially been made obsolete by the Fluval C series which acts just like a canister filter with separate compartments for each stage of filtration and it is easier to use "cut to fit" custom media. The "basket" in the aquaclears is a mess. It has design flaws that cause the water to bypass the filter media. Go here and see the "plastic & epoxy" cure.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/16100...-filter-media/

There is even a specially desgined aftermarket basket but it costs almost as much as the filter itself:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaCle...ket-AC70MR.htm

In my case, I just used duct tape ... but even then there are other problems: The AquaClear does not polish the water "out of the box" like the Fluval C does because the sponge has the same level of coarseness throughout so it does not get out micron particles that a polishing pad does.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I thank you all, i will get a fluval c4. And paul, thank you double for the links.
When i do get it, should i outright replace my current filter, or should i run them both to let bb build up. And if i go that way, how long until i can remove the old filter?

Old 02-24-2014, 12:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolfsbane View Post
I thank you all, i will get a fluval c4. And paul, thank you double for the links.
When i do get it, should i outright replace my current filter, or should i run them both to let bb build up. And if i go that way, how long until i can remove the old filter?

I would run both for 4-6 weeks
Old 02-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fisher View Post
I would run both for 4-6 weeks
Yes, run both for a while. If you "seed" the new filter with plenty of "old" media from the old filter, it might get you there faster. When I first set up my 29 gallon last August with a C3 (which was subsequently transferred to my 38 gallon) .... I seeded it with media from my 38 gallon's aqua-tech like this:
:
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Paul1792's Album: Paul1792's 29 gallon - Picture

and doing a "fish in" cycle on the new tank took only about 10 days.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your tank is beautiful!!! I can't believe the plants aren't real. It's just so gorgeous!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

You will love the C4! Hopefully you get lucky and have one that is quiet out of the box. Make sure you really rinse the C-Nodes as they can make your water cloudy at first. I don't think I spent enough time on mine, and I had cloudy water for a few days.

I got the same Aqueon kit as you. I have replaced everything but the lighting up to this point, and that's next. Home Depot has a 24" dual t5 fixture for like $25, and it looks like it'll fit in the existing light fixture if you take everything out. I may go that route, or just buy all new lighting, we'll see. I kind of wish I would've pieced it together since a bare 29g is $29 at my lfs, but it's also nice to have a spare heater and filter.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you kindly monkeymonk. Its a collection I've gathered over quite a few years, from both pets stores and hobby stores (i get my thick grasses from micheals xD)

The c4 should arrive by early next week, I've gone ahead and started running a pack of purigen in my current filter-just one day and it was already a gross brown. By my water's already looking much better.
I cant wait until the c4.... I'm so excited.

Thank you all again!

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com