2nd filter for Tall 110 Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bzzh8c

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a new 110 tall tank that I'd like to have cichlids in. It came with a Eheim Pro 2 which is rated for 90 gallons, and so I think I'm undersized two ways, by capacity and the fact I'll have cichlids (planning on 25-30). I have a Whisper 60 filter to go along with it, but 1) it's noisy, and 2) I don't think it's enough.

So, I want to add another canister filter and lose the Whisper. Looking at other Eheim Pro 2's on Ebay, but also considering their Pro 3 G160, which new is going for $220 with media. Something I thought to mention is that I do have a lot of holey rock in the tank and some large fake plants. I also have two powerheads to position in there once I see where stuff collects.

Advice on path ahead?

Seems like a good plan. Those Pro 2's are great filters. The only thing that typically goes wrong with them as they age is that some of the rubber gaskets need to be replaced.

For 220 you could probably get a fluval 406 which will give you more gph. Unless your really wanting an Eheim I think they are over priced.

For 220 you could probably get a fluval 406 which will give you more gph. Unless your really wanting an Eheim I think they are over priced.
You are paying for the build quality on the Eheim. I have owned a number of Fluval and Eheim Pro filters over the years and the Eheim's are definitely more solid. The Eheim Pros are also generally more quiet than the Fluval equivalents. Don't get me wrong, they both do the same job, but if you can afford it, I would always get the Eheim.

Hey, you could get a really nice canister filter. Look at the sunsun HW-404A or 404B filters on eBay... Great quality, great capacity, and REALLY great price. I've been using for 304A for nearly a year now, and it is as silent as it can possibly be. I have to put my ear up against it to make sure it's still running lol. Lots of flow rate, HUGE media capacity.. Nearly the size of a 5gal bucket. Great price, $80-$90. I haven't had any problems with mine, and many others share my experience.

Hey, you could get a really nice canister filter. Look at the sunsun HW-404A or 404B filters on eBay... Great quality, great capacity, and REALLY great price. I've been using for 304A for nearly a year now, and it is as silent as it can possibly be. I have to put my ear up against it to make sure it's still running lol. Lots of flow rate, HUGE media capacity.. Nearly the size of a 5gal bucket. Great price, $80-$90. I haven't had any problems with mine, and many others share my experience.

I agree whole heartedly. When I first got them (I have all three sizes) I too opened the cabinet to listen and feel that they were on - the way my filters are set up I can't simply look at the water movement.

I think the built in UV (A models) is a waste for anything more than clearing green water, if it could even do that. The bulb is no where near powerful enough to be effective with such a limited contact time due to the GPH.

Where there is water, you'll find me in it, on it or staring at it

I agree as well i have a 55gal had a aqua clear 70 (recommend by my lfs) and aqueon 50 and my water was always cloudy and changing cartridges every 3 days on the aqueon bought a sunsun 303b and after just 2 days running water was almost crystal clear so bought another very satisfied plenty of room for media as well

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Arranging two filters in a tall aquarium - optimium setup?

So if you've got two canister filters, is there an obvious way to go about arranging inlet/outlets to to get maximum benefit? It thought to put the outlets on either side of the tank with one pointed across the surface, and one pointed downward to create (hopefully) a "swirl". A powerhead down at the bottom blowing back the other way would help I imagine.

Is this the way it's usually done, or is there another setup that usually keeps a cleaner tank? Both pointing forward across the surface? Both at one end shooting water together across?

I have the filters at opposite ends of the tank, in the corners. Intakes are on the back glass. On the one side, the spraybar is mounted on the side glass, pushing the water across the front of the tank towards the other filters intake. The other spraybar is mounted vertically on the back glass in the corner, pushing the water back along the back glass to the intake of the first filter. This produces a nice circular flow that keeps the tank nice and tidy.

Back
Top Bottom