Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

3 months running, never say bio max so clean!

Something has to be wrong. I've NEVER seen rings this clean on a tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2941911007.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	160936

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Something has to be wrong. I've NEVER seen rings this clean on a tank.

Attachment 160936
Hey Dino, are they from your 75??

Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Hey Dino, are they from your 75??
Nope, this is from a tank at the FD. I'd say 110 is probably a few months old now that I think about it. Maybe 4 months old they look brand new.

The ones on my 75 are brown and nasty looking lol.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Nope, this is from a tank at the FD. I'd say 110 is probably a few months old now that I think about it. Maybe 4 months old they look brand new.

The ones on my 75 are brown and nasty looking lol.
It could be that the water is getting well filtered before it hits the rings. I know your a fan of floss, is the water going through the floss before the rings???
Would you be equally worried if they looked like yours???. My rings are only slightly yellow and they are in my canister for over 10 months now.....
Old 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It could be that the water is getting well filtered before it hits the rings. I know your a fan of floss, is the water going through the floss before the rings???
Would you be equally worried if they looked like yours???. My rings are only slightly yellow and they are in my canister for over 10 months now.....
Haha nah... I expect my overstocked tank filters to look nasty lol. I swish them around in tank water.

Yeah the floss is getting it first. Guess its doing its job. The tank is overstocked as well at the FD so expected more. It has a 110 and a 70 and its a 46 gallon bow front with about 10 convicts, 1 JD, pleco and a clown loach. Would have had even more fish but I had to yell at the guys, they were always adding fish and not even fish that would survive. But that's a different story.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Haha nah... I expect my overstocked tank filters to look nasty lol. I swish them around in tank water.

Yeah the floss is getting it first. Guess its doing its job. The tank is overstocked as well at the FD so expected more. It has a 110 and a 70 and its a 46 gallon bow front with about 10 convicts, 1 JD, pleco and a clown loach. Would have had even more fish but I had to yell at the guys, they were always adding fish and not even fish that would survive. But that's a different story.
I'd say your grand so. Your just being cautious and rightly so. If my daughter had her way, god only knows what would be added to mine. She once added some probiotic yogurt drink to my goldfish tank because she thought the good bacteria would help them!!!. She was only 4 at the time......
Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'd say your grand so. Your just being cautious and rightly so. If my daughter had her way, god only knows what would be added to mine. She once added some probiotic yogurt drink to my goldfish tank because she thought the good bacteria would help them!!!. She was only 4 at the time......
That's a good one lol

Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
That's a good one lol
Not for the fish, needless to say they didn't make it. I only discovered a few ago what happened, she's 12 now!!!. Keep your eye on your little guy...haha
Old 03-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #9

Wow, those rings ARE pretty clean, D -- just like mine in my 110, but in my case there's a justification as my tank has been up and running for what...three weeks to a month, a little more?

I know in another thread you were telling me not to rinse my media yet in either HOB, but during the last 50% water change I did (last Sunday if I am not mistaken), I took out the Aqueon cartridges and the AquaClear's sponge/BioMax to inspect them, and neither were especially gunky...what I did was, because I have a tendency to overfeed my little piggies somewhat, I dunked and rinsed the cartridges and the sponge in removed tank water, which loosened some debris such as sucked-up extra food into the bucket...then, I replaced both pieces of media to the filters. I left the BioMax alone, as it wasn't clogged with any kind of mulm, and looked like it was attempting to grow tiny bacterial brown spots...

Was this okay at this point?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

You replaced your sponges? Or re used them? You shouldn't change your sponges. I haven't replaced mine yet!

Tags
bio, clean

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com