Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert90

Canister filter is an external filter. It's capable of housing alot more bb then ur conventional HOB and internal filter.
Ok that helps a little, I might be bein stupid but wat is bb?? Lol

Old 05-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris22

Ok that helps a little, I might be bein stupid but wat is bb?? Lol
Beneficial bacteria. They are the ones who convert ur ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate which is the least harmful of all. We get rid of nitrate by pwc (partial eater change).

U should do fishless cycle before u introduce any fish to Ur brand new 30 gallon

Old 05-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #13

Quote:

Beneficial bacteria. They are the ones who convert ur ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate which is the least harmful of all. We get rid of nitrate by pwc (partial eater change).

U should do fishless cycle before u introduce any fish to Ur brand new 30 gallon
Right I'm with ya, I did a week cycle on my 10 gallon but for the 30gallon I was gonna do at least a 4 week cycle will this be enough? I will keep checking water parameters every other day to make sure all is good, does this sound good??
Old 05-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Right I'm with ya, I did a week cycle on my 10 gallon but for the 30gallon I was gonna do at least a 4 week cycle will this be enough? I will keep checking water parameters every other day to make sure all is good, does this sound good??
4 weeks is a good estimate but it may take longer or shorter. One cant really say how long exactly, it will vary from tank to tank. But ya heck ur parameter every other day and u will be all set. Search this forum for a fishless cycle thread. Ill try to drop u the link later when I get hold of a desktop.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #15

Quote:

4 weeks is a good estimate but it may take longer or shorter. One cant really say how long exactly, it will vary from tank to tank. But ya heck ur parameter every other day and u will be all set. Search this forum for a fishless cycle thread. Ill try to drop u the link later when I get hold of a desktop.
Ok brilliant, you've been a great help, thank you.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

I have to disagree. I'm sure slot of people will. I have a 40 gallon recently replace it with a eheim pro 2 2028. It's no overkill infact it's one of the decisions I've done!
On a 40 find it nessacary, on a 30 find it on the line, also stated the canister was still the best but not compulsory and also stated to use a bigger HOB, you are all right with more filtration the better (unless low current fish) , I use a 40gal rated HOB and a powerhead on my 30s , if had it my way would be a whirl pool in my tank bahaha....but I don't think the fish would enjoy that lol
Old 05-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollabill420

On a 40 find it nessacary, on a 30 find it on the line, also stated the canister was still the best but not compulsory and also stated to use a bigger HOB, you are all right with more filtration the better (unless low current fish) , I use a 40gal rated HOB and a powerhead on my 30s , if had it my way would be a whirl pool in my tank bahaha....but I don't think the fish would enjoy that lol
Sorry to be stupid, as I'm new quite new to this hobby it's like everyone is using special code words hahaha wat is HOB?? And yeah don't think the fish will be to happy about a whirlpool hahahaha
Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #18

Also for my heater I was gonna get a 100w aquatop aquarium heater, will this be ok?? I've read the review on it and there all positive with people using it on a 30 gallon.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Sorry to be stupid, as I'm new quite new to this hobby it's like everyone is using special code words hahaha wat is HOB?? And yeah don't think the fish will be to happy about a whirlpool hahahaha
Sorry bout that, it's just a hang on the back external filter, it's what you normally see on aquariums, a canister is one that can sit under ur tank and be concealed, it's also more costly, ur not stupid either, most people on here seem to forget they were newbies at one time and probably still are lol, a whirlpool would be sweet though maybe a fish that lives under a waterfall would like it bahaha
Old 05-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

There's a rating called watt per gallon (watt/gal) 1 watt of heating per gallon is considered low 3 watt per gallon is considered high you'd be a little over 3, you can go higher though I have a 200 watt in one of my 20 gallons which is 10 watts per gallon and works fine, the more watt per gallon you have actually seems to save power because it has to turn on less for a less amount of time, it seems better for fish too because with a low watt system it tends to let the water temperature vary more with a heating cooling cycle, I use higher watts too because I like it a little colder then most people in my house and higher watts compensates that. With a hundred watt you should have no problems at all, my friend only has a 200 watt on her 55 and seems to work find but that's too because more water takes more time to lose heat, I full hood over your tank helps with heat loss too and evaporation, my 20 gal with the 200 watt has no top at all (over stocked with guppies for feeder fish) so I needed a bit higher watts and more air to get to it
Hope that helps out a bit my friend private msg me if you have any more questions or post here I'll check back in

Tags
30 gallon, filter, filter help, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com