30g Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexrd09

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in the process of setting up a frag tank. I currently have one 96w PC bulb and balast from an old tank and was thinking about buying some T5's. I was looking at a 36w double linear strip.(30" Aqualight T-5 - Double Linear Strip - 58021)

Would this be good enough for the tanks purpose as a frag tank? I would combine two of these T5 set ups with the 96w PC that I currently have.

I would think you'll want T5HO, but I guess it will depend on what types of corals you will be stocking it with.

Would a 2x 24watt T5 HO retrofit system be good enough? i am planning to frag corals off of my 150 gal and grow them in this tank. As I said earlier I have a 96w PC but i would prefer not to use it if I dont have to.

That might work depending on the corals, but 2x39w would probably be better and allow for more flexibility and growth.

The problem it that my tanks demensions only allow me to go up to 30 inch in length. For now i would just be using it for soft corals(polyps, mushrooms, rics, xenia).

Would they have a problem growing and replicating in this tank? I would like them to grow and not stay the same size.

That sounds like a 29... I think they'd live, but I'm not sure how well they would grow. Wait for one of the more lighting experienced folks to chime in though.

I'd go for 4x 39W HO T5 for a frag tank. IMO you would get much better growth than with only 2 bulbs.

The problem is that the 39w are too long for my setup. I have a 30" 29 gal with a canopy so I am trying to get something that will fit inside the canopy.

I have decided to go T5 but not sure which retrofit to get.

The problem is that the 39w are too long for my setup. I have a 30" 29 gal with a canopy so I am trying to get something that will fit inside the canopy.

I have decided to go T5 but not sure which retrofit to get.

Oops, sorry! I meant to say 24W. I'm not too familiar with retrofit kits, but have heard good things about the Sunlight Supply kits.

For now i ordered 2x 24w T5 HO retrofit. I plan on ordering another one within the next few months.

You guys think 4x 24w T5 HO will be enough for LPS and SPS?

Back
Top Bottom