37 gal "support" strip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankGirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 37gal All-Glass has a plastic strip that goes across the top in the center, similar to the brace on a 55. This strip is wide, thin plastic and it is very flexible, and has no tension whatsoever on it.

I have a strip light that I just got and it has an LED moonlight that is right in the center, covered by this piece of plastic, so I want to cut the thing off so the LED will shine into the tank. I don't know why it is there if not to add support, but it does not seem to require it. The tank is 30" wide, 23" tall and about 12" deep.

TIA!

Sounds like it probably is there for support of a cover and/or light fixture.Is it part of the plastic frame around the edge of the tank?If you think it may be for support why not relocate it to either side of the LED?You could silicone to the frames' inside lip or edge, a new support of stronger plastic.

Great idea, piranha! I could even use lucite or something clear so the LED could shine through it, or drill a tiny LED-sized hole in it. It must be there to support the glass top, like you say.

Odd that the tank is full and the support is still very flexable. Clearly its not needed to keep the front/back glass from bowing out.

Back
Top Bottom