Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

HOBs are easier in terms of sliding out a cartridge, swoosh it in a bucket to clean it, slip it back in - you can't beat that for easy. BUT, the last time I needed to clean out the box of my Emperor 400 I was sloshing water all over the place trying to lift that thing off the back, high enough for the intake to clear, and carrying it to the sink. Luckily you don't have to do that too terribly often.

Fishyrican, you are right that these discussions can turn into a battle!

jevousdeteste (I'll try not to take your handle personally... ) I think the bottom line is that you might need just a bit more power on that tank, and you can go either way you want in terms of a larger HOB or canister.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 05:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
All filters need maintance and a prefilter on the intake helps alot..
http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FILT...e_filters.html
Any filter that circulates anywere from 190-304gph will be suffecient.. depending on stocking levels.. If your stocking levels are heavy go for closer to 300 gph..

Old 06-18-2005, 06:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman
I don't have any issues with maintenance on my canister. Just basically removing the hoses, opening up the canister. Doing whatever it is that needs to be done. Reconnect the hoses. Watch the canister fill with water, and walla!!! Done.
Is that all Dude, removing all of your hoses and cleaning them is a major pain, not to mention the gunk that builds up inside the thing. HOBs are easiers to clean, canisters filter better. IMO.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to jersysman
Seeing as that I only have to do this 2 or 3 times a year, it is not a major pain. But to each his own. And, that's what they make filter brushes for and I don't have to do that that often. As for the original purpose of the thread, GM had some good advice.

VOTE NOW FOR AQUARIUM ADVICE!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...d1=2885;pcid2=
Get a prefilter for this filter and your set!!!
http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FILT...e_filters.html

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com