38 gal filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jevousdeteste

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What would be the best form of filtration for my 38 gal? Right now I just have a Penguin 200 Bio-wheel. I haven't had any problems, but I'm curious as to what might be better and more efficient. TIA.

I would also suggest a canister filter, just because I prefer them for water movement, but a Aqua-Clear HOB or a larger Penguin or Emperor would do well. The Penguin 200 might not be enough for this tank, especially with the prolific nature of your livebearers. :wink:

I hesitated to jump in, because this can quickly turn into a battle of one brand filter v. the other, but I agree that a canister filter would be a good idea. They can hide under the tank, creating less visual clutter, and you'll have more flexibility in the types of media you can use. I have a Rena Filstar XP3.

I agree, a small canister is the way to go. Brand choice is very debatable. Everyone has their favorite. You could use a hob, but if you are looking for a way to hide the filter, I'd go with the canister.

You could put a Filstar XP1 on a tank that size, and it would be very inexpensive. Brands are a personal preference, and I am not aware of any truly crappy models out there, so shop around for price. There are some less than fabulous HOB's however, but I'm not biased, or anything. :wink:

I used to be a huge fan of canister filters, but remember that the maintanence on them can get to be tough, with all the tubing and parts they contain. Sometime I with I had just gotten a good quality HOB for my 55g and saved myself the hassle.

I think it depends on the brand that you buy, in regards to maintenance because I have never had any issues with having hard maintenance. My hobs are more of a pain than my canisters.

I don't have any issues with maintenance on my canister. Just basically removing the hoses, opening up the canister. Doing whatever it is that needs to be done. Reconnect the hoses. Watch the canister fill with water, and walla!!! Done.

Same here Jersey. Shut off the valves, twist off the hoses, pick it up and take it to the kitchen, do what needs to be done, put the top back on, snap into place, reconnect hoses, open the valves and turn back on.

HOBs are easier in terms of sliding out a cartridge, swoosh it in a bucket to clean it, slip it back in - you can't beat that for easy. BUT, the last time I needed to clean out the box of my Emperor 400 I was sloshing water all over the place trying to lift that thing off the back, high enough for the intake to clear, and carrying it to the sink. Luckily you don't have to do that too terribly often.

Fishyrican, you are right that these discussions can turn into a battle!

jevousdeteste (I'll try not to take your handle personally... :wink: ) I think the bottom line is that you might need just a bit more power on that tank, and you can go either way you want in terms of a larger HOB or canister.

jersysman said:
I don't have any issues with maintenance on my canister. Just basically removing the hoses, opening up the canister. Doing whatever it is that needs to be done. Reconnect the hoses. Watch the canister fill with water, and walla!!! Done.

Is that all :wink: Dude, removing all of your hoses and cleaning them is a major pain, not to mention the gunk that builds up inside the thing. HOBs are easiers to clean, canisters filter better. IMO.

Seeing as that I only have to do this 2 or 3 times a year, it is not a major pain. But to each his own. And, that's what they make filter brushes for and I don't have to do that that often. As for the original purpose of the thread, GM had some good advice.

Back
Top Bottom