40 Gallon Breeder on second floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajw8071

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am considering placing a 40 gallon breeder on the second floor of my house in my bedroom, I have 2 dressers in it as of now (1 is about 3 ft high x 5ft long, the other is 5 ft high 3ft long) and my bed. The house is less than 5 years old and I would be placing the tank over floor joists (i know the direction they cross the room at), the only other big thing I do not know is if my wall is load bearing or not but the tank would be against a wall none the less. So with the additional weight of roughly 450lbs from the tank do you think this would be safe?

i have a 90gal on the second floor... running the same direction as the floor joists... 4 weeks and no problems... no creeking, cracking, or anything else weird.. all is still level.

it does kinda "rock" slightly when you walk by it... but that also happens to a glass of water on the top of my dresser on the other side of the house.. so no biggie...

ive had 2 contractors take a look and also spoke with a structural engineer who looked at plans to the house.... All said its not the "IDEAL" place for it.. but it should be fine...

you can check out my Precautions of going larger thread if you want to see more detail...

I have over 4000kg in a 3mx4m room: 10x 220 litre tanks 2x 375 litre tanks, 6x 150 litre tanks 4x 60 litre tanks full, plus racking + a few empty tanks.

The room is on wooden floor boards held up with joists and wooden stumps in the ground. This part of the house is over 100 years old. Granted it is ground floor, but still.

You will be fine.

P.S. I bet people have bookcases full of books which weigh more than a 40 gal tank but no-one ever questions if that can go upstairs, they just do it and I have yet to hear about one falling through the floor.

I wouldn't worry about a 40B. Now if you said 400g, I'd start thinking about the weight, but 400-500lb really shouldn't be an issue. I weigh 300lb and I've never questioned the integrity of my floors. Even when carrying two 80lb sacks of sand, the floors don't give much.

Back
Top Bottom