40 Gallon under tank sump options...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betowess

Aquarium Advice Freak
My water ( from a well) is really soft. I'm looking for about a 40 gallon plastic, acrylic, or glass tank or tub to hold half of a future 80 gallon aquarium's change water. I will run a power head in this holding container for a couple of days to bring the water's pH up to 6.6 or so. My pH is around 5.5 out of the faucet, but after running a rio for a few days it brings it right up. Also to tweak the near zero GH, and to add potassium sulphate etc.

Has anyone seen a solid plastic tub or such that I might use at a Home Depot or some such place? Any alternative ideas?

I see that Oceanic makes a (near) cube sized 37 gallon which would work fine but I imagine is spendy. My dimensions could be a little less than 2 feet square - maybe 1.5 feet square as two feet square is 60 gallons. But also it could be a little taller and less wide, like 18 to 20 inches wide so I can hide it under the stand I'm going to build or buy for this future four foot wide 80 gallon tank which I have my eye on. I might just have a friend make me a fiberglass tub, if the price is right. Thanks. Bob

hey beto, what about building it into the stand like i suggested a while ago? that would be pretty sweet... also pretty simple as you could use the west system epoxy to line the box.

O.K. Plywood box? 3/4 inch? Use any screws or just glue? What is the "West system" epoxy? Where does one find it? You're burning the midnite oil, Eric. Thanks, bob

Head down to the local feed store and get a stock watering tub. You can get them in a variety of sizes and they are pretty inexpensive.

I use a 33gallon heavy duty trash can (bought JUST for this purpose). You could get one that has casters on it...then you could wheel it around easily.
I don't have to tweak my water, so I just drag it out, fill it with a long hose, treat with prime, let it sit while i remove the old water, clean tank, then refill using a Rio pump.

Oh, I really like that idea with wheels on it Malkore! My garage is right off the room with the tanks so that would be perfect. :D Thanks to you and Rex.

I just saw a fellow's sump setup in his basement for his reef tank and next to it he had mounted a huge Rubbermaid tub that was his aged water change water. It was full and obviously was able to handle the load of water, but I like Malkore's trash can on a castered platform concept better!

Back
Top Bottom