Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-13-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
400 watt mh for 75 gallon? Need advice...thanks

would a 400 watt mh be too much for a 75 gallon? Can you have too much light? If I purchase one, I'll probably build a hanging canopy with a couple of actinic 40 watt NO.

If I build a hanging canopy, would I need a fan?

With a canopy that rests on the aquarium, would I need a fan?

Would that much light "sunburn" corals and other stuff on my live rock?

Do you think any fish I get would be "spooked" or be a little shy because of the mh?

I just found a deal ($90) and have been pondering.

Thanks and God Bless,

The joy of the Lord is my strength!

Only bikers know why dog's hang their heads out of the window!

75 gallon (finally got water in it in late June)
40 lbs aragonite select sand
25 lbs live rock
10 lbs of base rock added 7-6-05
2 x Penguin 330 w/bio wheel
NO 40 watt Powerglow
bassetbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You need two MH bulbs for a tank longer than 3' in lengh. This is because the MH bulb unlike florecent bulbs emit their light from a single point and the light is only really effective as reef lighting for a 2' square area. So for a 75 gal tank or any other 4' long tank you should have two MH fixtures. Unless you was looking to keep very high light required coral and clams you can do with a pair of 175W MH bulbs or a pair of 250W MH bulbs. Going with a pair of 400W MH bulbs would be overkill for a 75 for all but the most light hungery inverts.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

5 gallon, 75 gallon, watt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com