46g bow front or regular 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazingatstars12

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm beginning plan my next fish tank and I want to get one of the tanks listed above.
What in wondering is are there any drawbacks to bow fronts? Do they come in glass? Is it harder to find a nice stand/canopy for it? Ect.

I'm guessing there are no 55g bow fronts? All I've seen looking tonite was 46 and 72

Any opinions you guys have please share

Thanks

I have an acrylic 55 and love it. Only drawback it how dang easy it is to scratch!

I would do a bow front if I had found one but I just cruise Craigslist and got a sweet deal-- $125 for tank and stand and a few other items.

I prefer the look of bow front tanks and I think the rocks and other objects look more naturally arranged in them. Rectangular tanks seem to resemble each other in terms of rock work

That's the reason I'm wary of acrylic. I work at a sign shop and we use the same brand of material for signs that I've seen people use to build acrylic tanks on YouTube. We even use the same glue..

So I'm very familiar with how easily it can scratch. If possible Id like a glass bow front between 50 and 60 gallons but the closest I can find is 46g... And there's no price listed on the website

Look into corner tanks I think they come in a 92?

The spacial benefit of the 90 degree angle is tremendous and looks most original IMO. My lfs has one that is breathtaking

Oh and I can't recommend you buy a new tank, unless you are loaded. Hehehe if you are then by all means ;)

I have 46 bow front and just purchased a 55 regular. Both are glass. I haven't set up the 55 so I can't say much about it. Its a foot longer than the bow front. Depending on the fish you put in, I'm sure they may like the extra length. I purchased my bow front from Craigslist about 6 years ago. It came with tank, stand, cover, light and filter. All for $250.

But when u scratch an acrylic tank you can buff it out. You scratch a glass tank you're screwed.
And since you work with acrylic already, maybe you can make a big bow front tank, if you happen to have a way to heat up a piece that big.

I have a CNC machine and can cut everything out easily. I just cut 80 letters out of 3/8 aluminum so acrylic would be easy... I just dont know how to go about heating and bending the front piece

Plus I've never actually built a fish tank before so I wouldn't want my first project to be something that would completely flood my bedroom if a seam fails

I've got a goldfish that's been growing rapidly going from one to 3-4inches since I got him in June so maybe I should go for the extra space. Ideally I would go as big as possible but I don't want to stress the floor too bad. The last thing I need is my floor collapsing into the crawlspace below

Lol if your house can't handle a 72 gallon tank I'd say you got different things to worry about. I never build a tank before either but its real easy, you just have to prep your edges real good and make sure everything is squared off before applying cement.

I guess im just paranoid... I really didnt think too much about the weight in real terms

72 gallons is getting close to 1000lbs with everything. I could imagine 5 big guys standing in that spot without a problem.

It would be against an exterior wall so it should be fine, no?

I think you just made up my mind

Bowfronts are just as sturdy as regular tanks, correct?

Yep no difference. If you're buying used pay attention to the silicone beads, and if it looks dried up/ cracked. You can always reseal it yourself if you find a good deal on an older tank that leaks.

Back
Top Bottom