Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just cut small squares of foam and place them in the corners and middle of the tank, or cut a rectangle and trim out the middle to prevent any contact with bottom panel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 10-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

With all due respect, I think Brookster forgot what type of tank you have. Since it has no framework around it, it should be totally covered. The polystyrene is the right thing. It will give where it needs to. You don;t want a soft foam (a.k.a. Foam Rubber)as it does not offer much support. I'd cut the poly just slightly larger than the tank then rest the tank on top of it on the stand with plywood.

Hope this helps

Edit: I may have confused 2 threads about tanks. lol There's another thread about a frameless tank on here. Yours has the frame doesn't it? In all honesty, it shouldn't matter. I use styro on ALL tanks, framed or not. The manufacturers of the tanks we sold in the stores recommended it as well as floating frames are not guaranteed against breaking from either weight or age. By using a full coverage piece of styro, the tank will not have any part having point pressure against it. If just using smaller pieces, you use it only around the edges so the frame is less likely to fail. Since styro is flexible, a large tank will crush it before it can damage any glass. My 10 gal tanks crush the 3/4" pieces I am currently using on my back porch rack as it is not level. I highly doubt a 55 will have any issues.

Hope this helps

Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this a standard tank or frame less rimless?

Old 10-30-2014, 03:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Since I'm a rookie on this forum I thought I'd post a photo of my new (used) 55 gallon aquarium and stand. I appreciate all the comments. I also added a photo of my koi angelfish that will be going into this tank in the next few days. I have 9 of them, and I'll be allowing them to pair off, hopefully by February.

I have secured a nice sheet of 3/4" plywood 13" wide by 50" long. This should nicely fit on the top of the stand and give support. While I was planning to add a sheet of 1" styrofoam to the plywood under the tank, now I'm not so sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kou Angelfish 064.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	254326

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kou Angelfish 059.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	254327
Old 10-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

elmo, we are all trying to help, at times some jump to conclusions faster than they should. With that tank and that stand, it will be just fine placed directly on the plywood atop the stand. If for any reason the stand is badly warped and un even? Consider the styro..

Tags
stand, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com