Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2014, 05:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

48" tank on 47.5" stand?

Hi, I've just picked up a nice almost new 55 gallon tank for my wooden stand. Strangely the stand is only 47.5" long so my new tank has 1/4" hanging off each side, basically the width of the end piece of glass. The tank is only 12.75" wide while the stand it 16" wide. So it will be well supported except for the last 1/4" on each side.

I don't want to split hairs, but I have heard it is very important for the corners of the tank to be supported well. Will only 1/4" of tank hanging over the otherwise very sturdy flat topped stand cause a concern? I can always get a sheet of 1/2" plywood cut to compensate and place this on the stand top and the tank on this plywood, but I'd rather not go through the trouble if its not necessary. Comments?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wouldn't use a tank unless it fit the stand properly. The stand should be replaced. Is it an actual aquarium stand or was it originally for something else?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use a piece of 3/4" ply, you can get it cut right at homedepot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 10-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAquarist View Post
I wouldn't use a tank unless it fit the stand properly. The stand should be replaced. Is it an actual aquarium stand or was it originally for something else?

Yes, this is an actual aquarium stand for a 65 gallon aquarium. The concern is that the brand the stand is made for is slightly less long, only 47.5 inches vrs. the 48 inches of my 55 gallon tank. That's why the 55 gallon overhangs at the ends by 1/4 inch on each side.

I could always just get a 3/4" plywood sheet cut to size at Home Depot that extends the top by 1/2" or so and makes it longer as suggested. I was just hoping to avoid the hassle of doing this if it was okay to just put the tank on the stand as is. I do have a 1" styrofoam base I was going to put under the tank. However this won't give any real strength to the last 1/4" that hangs over the ends if I don't add a plywood sheet first.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A glass aquarium must be supported on the edges. In fact, it only needs to be supported on the edges.

As you and others have pointed out, adding a piece of 3/4 plywood should work fine.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

What company makes a tank that size? The usual 65 is 36x18x24.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the width is ok but the length is short that 1/2", you should be okay. For your own piece of mind, I would add the plywood and styrofoam so that the whole tank is supported. With larger tanks, it's best to have all the corners fully supported. You don't want anything pushing up on the bottom glass.

Hope this helps
Old 10-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

if it is a framed tank it should be fine, if it's frameless, definitely go with the plywood.

1/2"-5/8" plywood should be more than enough considering that it really isn't going to be stressed on that 1/4" overhang.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks all for the advice. I have decided to put a 50" long sheet of 3/4" plywood on the top of the stand (plus a sheet of styrofoam over the plywood) which will solve any potential problem. I suspect I "probably" would be okay, but for the peace of mind and the safety of my rapidly growing Koi Anglefish, I'll go the plywood route.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Elmo View Post
Thanks all for the advice. I have decided to put a 50" long sheet of 3/4" plywood on the top of the stand (plus a sheet of styrofoam over the plywood) which will solve any potential problem. I suspect I "probably" would be okay, but for the peace of mind and the safety of my rapidly growing Koi Anglefish, I'll go the plywood route.
You can do that but you only need it to the edge of the tank. The additional overhang is not adding any strength, and might look "funny".

Generally manufacturers of tanks with trim recommend against any foam under the tank, as it can support the glass pushing up, allowing the edge to settle into the foam, and cause failures. You might check. It is tanks with side glass resting on the bottom glass that need foam. Tanks with side glass resting on the trim (or base) and bottom glass "floating" glued to the sides are not supposed to have foam.

Check with the manufacturer if in doubt, as what seems to be helping (the foam) may be hurting.

But the plywood is definitely a good idea, don't allow the trim to hang off, but you don't need more plywood than right to the edge of the trim unless you just want it.

Tags
stand, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com