4Ft PC light setup from 90G for 45G Bowfront?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMANIQU77

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been in this hobby for quite some time now and have never had any freebie luck.

There's this coworker of mine that isn't even in the hobby yet, ok. Then another person from work had a son who disassembled his 90G 4ft tank with PC light setup. Her son's wife died just recently and he is too depressed to take care of the tank.

So he tried to get rid of them. My coworker was blessed with the 4ft PC light setup as a freebie just like that. I mean, this guy doesn't even have any idea how lucky he is really. He's just happy that he has this lighting, that's it. I was really hurt in a funny way. But hey, sometimes that happens. Rich people ends up winning the lottery, what can I say.

Anyways, this coworker of mine will soon have a 3Ft 45G bow front tank with a stand FOR FREE from his boss this time. (I mean, what the hell is this and why infront of my face??) :x Anyways, my coworker wants help in setting up a saltwater aquarium.

I mean this guy is oblivious of the hobby and this is what he gets as a freebie. He's basically not spending anything anymore. Including live rocks and sand.

So how can he incorporate a 4Ft PC lighting setup calibrated for a 90G tank into a 3ft 45G bow front?

Any ideas.

And please do share my sour grapes sentiment, will yah. We all here have been through tough times. Can we at least share the burden of frustration over a person who has no idea of the hobby but ended up with such a good start. I mean, really really good start.

Your responses will be appreciated.

Its obvious, he has to wait for a 3ft PC light and give the 4ft to you :)

I bet it was also a Jebo light and in turn will burn his house down :twisted: (ok, not really, but who knows)

Its obvious, he has to wait for a 3ft PC light and give the 4ft to you
That is exactly what I was going to say.

You could just give him a bunch of bad advice. He will get frustrated and give up and give the tank to you. :twisted:

...Do not do that :angel:

Brenden said:
Its obvious, he has to wait for a 3ft PC light and give the 4ft to you
That is exactly what I was going to say.

You could just give him a bunch of bad advice. He will get frustrated and give up and give the tank to you. :twisted:

...Do not do that :angel:

:D I like that

Well give him the right advice but make it sound as complicated as you can. It'll overwhelm him and offer him like 20 bucks for it.

Hahahahahahaha! Yeaaaaaah!

The messed up thing is, he's all like "Well, I'll just keep the 4ft lighting in the storage and I will practice with the three fee tank".

I was closing to saying "Why don't you practice on gold fish first because it already sucks that you don't have to spend jack, now you don't want to go through the right of passage too".

I wish I can have the most complicating advice. I like that one. But you know, we in the hobby invite people to be in the hobby as well, right? I mean, knowing how much effort we put into our tank water, what more towards the water form that our fish originally swims in (the ocean).

Thanks. At this point it is obvious as a weird idea to put 4ft lighting on a 3ft tank. It's like slipping a size 10 foot into a size 7, in my opinion.

I am just full of rage and jealousy that I can't really look this guy in the eye anymore. :roll: He knows I have the tank that can accomodate that light too. But he'd rather build cobwebs in it. What a smart aleck. This is just jealousy talking now.

Thanks for sharing the sentiment with me, dudes! (y)

Why not just tell him you need a 4ft light, and instead of him just storing it ask if he will sell it to you. Since he has nothing in it he may just give it to you or sell it really cheap.

Well, to update you about that friend of mine. To quickly recap, he received a 46G bowfront with stand for free. It also comes with a Penguin dual biofilter HOB. It also comes with 2 reversible powerheads capable of 200 gph each. He acquired for free a 4-foot reef-ready PC light kit that he cannot use for his 46G.

Last night he was weird enough to brag on my cellphone voicemail that he received a 15G sump for free. And 25 lbs of "seeded live rock" (is what he aptly titled it) in a bucket without water for weeks now.

I told him that at this point it's like building Lego blocks for him. I told him to start cycling the tank while he is researching more on fish. I told him to fill his tank up with Instant Ocean-marinated filtered water and let it run with powerheads and his HOB filter (no pads and biowheel). I also told him to quickly put the rocks in the display so that hopefully the dead critters in there can decompose and kickstart the cycle.

I told him that at that point, he can start with clown fish and some small community SW fish after cycle. I told him to deviate away from predatiorial (which usually need larger tanks) and tangs (which usually works when your tank is established for at least a good 7 months to a year).

He then responded (to all of that) this way:

No dude. I want to read and read and make sure I know everything before I even start the cycle (this is coming from a guy who has EVERYTHING provided to him). He told me that he doesn't need to put the (now dead) LR's in the water. Besides, his boss told him he can put meat (not clear on what he means, I hope he meant cocktail shrimp) in there to start the cycle.

He also decided, after a long debate about fish, to get a Naso Tang, a flame angel, a Blue Hippo tang, and a harlequin (not sure what that meant). So here is newbie aiming for Angels and Tangs.

First, he wanted my help. Second, he refuses to listen. Third, he gives this attitude that I am just BS-ing him.

I just want to post this to get some sentiments and reaction from you had you been in my place. Also, tell me if I was wrong on any of my advice to him.

Thank you and I am going to explode in anger and frustration now. newbie is one thing. A stubborn newbie is another. A stubborn newbie blessed freebie on EVERYTHING is just straight unfair. Please tell me god. :roll: ..why?

Yeah, he's a 38 year old Ex-US Marine. He's a weirdo, though.

Not a bad idea however, mate! I'd rather not have a go at that one though, because it may end up with teeth from two people.

I feel you though. I was close to that. Now, instead, he comes up to me and I tell him "It's up to you, man, it's your tank"

Hopefully after doing his “read and read and make sure I know everything” he will realize that his fish selection just won’t work in a 46 gal. For the sake of the fish I hope so :roll:

Back
Top Bottom