5 gallon aquarium heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blacksteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I'm looking to get a heater for my 5.5 gallon aquarium. I'm just wondering what is the best heater I could get. I know people say the eheim jäger are good but they don't have a 25w. It needs to be able to be set to a specific temp as well. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I have an adjustable one in my 5G Fluval spec....interpet deltatherm 25w. Amazon have them, I got mine from 'pets at home' hope this helps :)

So I was actually wrong because I guess drfostersmith just don't carry the jäger in 25w as the lowest the have is 50w for it. But I looked at kensfish.com and they have a 25w jäger which is adjustable so I'm gonna pick that up!

Not sure about best but I like the aqueon pro. Mine are new so do they last ??? I use them to warm buckets of ro water so the unbreakable part got me, expensive but they work.

Ya I hear good things about the aqueon pro as well. Do they have the ability to set a specific temp?

Check out the Cobalt NeoTherm nano heaters. Not only can you set the temp, but it flashes the current temp of the water. I use one in my 2 gallon nano.

image-653855915.jpg

Ya the pro has a dial with temp numbers and a light, the light is green when it's at temp and red when heating or not to temp yet.

Good that the Cobalt has the overheating shut down feature.

The Eheim also has a shut down feature and almost half the price, but the slim line of the Cobalt is good for a nano size tank! Looks like I will be saving up for that one for my Orange Eye Blue Tiger Shrimp!

Nice... Here's a pic of mine crammed into my overflow lol..

image-920777338.jpg

I took it out of the water a couple inches for the picture's sake. It sits completely underwater...

Well I'm not sure how many watts for the heater I should get. This is fora 5.5 gallon heavily planted red cherry shrimp tank? Idk if 25w or 50w is best. I'm in florida and it gets pretty hot here. I'm trying to keep the tank temp stable...

Well I'm not sure how many watts for the heater I should get. This is fora 5.5 gallon heavily planted red cherry shrimp tank? Idk if 25w or 50w is best. I'm in florida and it gets pretty hot here. I'm trying to keep the tank temp stable...

Depends on the your average room temperature and the temp your keeping your 5gal. In your case, I'd say a 25W should me be more than enough considering your in Florida. However, if the cost difference between a 25 to 50watt is just a few bucks ... go with the 50watt.

My thought would be 25W. You shouldn't have a hard time keeping it WARM unless it is under an A/C vent.

RCS can do lower temps too. Highest quality ones may be more delicate. I have blue cherry shrimp in ambient temp and they are doing fine at 68-70F+. Active. My others are at 78F preset, and 79/80F. Warmer ones are breeding well. Don't know about the ones in the snail bowl yet, as they were babies a couple months ago and just getting to adulthood/breeding age now.

I just purchased a 50 watt eheim jäger heater from amazon yesterday for my 5 gallon. They carried the 25 what too, but for some reason the 50 watt was considerably cheaper (about $17 plus $5 shipping).

Well the problem is that my parents don't feel like it's necessary to have ac on in our house so it's like a sauna in my room!! Tank runs around 83 degrees but it can swing lower at nights so I wanna keep the temps stable at 83 so the fluctuations doesn't stress then out. But ill probably get a 50w cuz it's the same price and I can use it for a bigger tank if I need to.

Well the problem is that my parents don't feel like it's necessary to have ac on in our house so it's like a sauna in my room!! Tank runs around 83 degrees but it can swing lower at nights so I wanna keep the temps stable at 83 so the fluctuations doesn't stress then out. But ill probably get a 50w cuz it's the same price and I can use it for a bigger tank if I need to.

I would let there be slight swings in temp, think of how it is with day and night, and let them cool down some too.

Are they show quality Cherry shrimp or regular Cherry shrimp? The more hybridizing for color and quality, like Painted Fire Red Cherry Shrimp, the more sensitive they can be.

But I think regular Cherries should be fine with temp changes, their water in the bowl acts as a bit of a buffer to keep the change more gradual (unlike if there is an A/C vent blowing on them). I personally would let it be at 79F. Or just use a small $14.99 preset 25W for such a small tank. As it seems you won't even be using it that much.

I would make sure it had a safety control to shut it off though in case of malfunction/over heating.

I would let there be slight swings in temp, think of how it is with day and night, and let them cool down some too.

Are they show quality Cherry shrimp or regular Cherry shrimp? The more hybridizing for color and quality, like Painted Fire Red Cherry Shrimp, the more sensitive they can be.

But I think regular Cherries should be fine with temp changes, their water in the bowl acts as a bit of a buffer to keep the change more gradual (unlike if there is an A/C vent blowing on them). I personally would let it be at 79F. Or just use a small $14.99 preset 25W for such a small tank. As it seems you won't even be using it that much.

I would make sure it had a safety control to shut it off though in case of malfunction/over heating.

This are the first red cherry shrimp I've ever had but I'd have to say that they're just regular red cherry shrimp. I guess ill just wait and see to get a heater. The temp fluctuates from around 81-84 degrees so hopefully that's not too much.

This are the first red cherry shrimp I've ever had but I'd have to say that they're just regular red cherry shrimp. I guess ill just wait and see to get a heater. The temp fluctuates from around 81-84 degrees so hopefully that's not too much.

Are they old enough to breed, are you getting them saddles and berried, and babies, yet?

That does seem a little bit warm, maybe on the borderline, of too warm. If you are getting babies, that's okay.

Maybe just keep looking for a great deal for the heater, til winter I wouldn't worry yet, unless they start using the A/C, lol!

Are they old enough to breed, are you getting them saddles and berried, and babies, yet?

That does seem a little bit warm, maybe on the borderline, of too warm. If you are getting babies, that's okay.

Maybe just keep looking for a great deal for the heater, til winter I wouldn't worry yet, unless they start using the A/C, lol!

No they're still juveniles, and I have one berried and another medium sized one. Ya I'm hoping its not too warm but I've been reading about them and they're are some people who say they've had them spike up to 90 because a heater broke and they were fine. Some people say they keep they steady around 84 with no problems, so I guess i'll just have to see. They are looking great right now. I'll definitely have to pick up a heater for winter, and the A/C turning on is not gonna happen :( lol

No they're still juveniles, and I have one berried and another medium sized one. Ya I'm hoping its not too warm but I've been reading about them and they're are some people who say they've had them spike up to 90 because a heater broke and they were fine. Some people say they keep they steady around 84 with no problems, so I guess i'll just have to see. They are looking great right now. I'll definitely have to pick up a heater for winter, and the A/C turning on is not gonna happen :( lol

Sounds good, you will just have to see how it goes. As heat rises, you may need to keep your tank low to the floor to be a bit cooler and some people use a fan to cool the tank some.

Good luck on the NO a/c. Sorry to hear that!

Back
Top Bottom