5 Power Cords?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
On ebay there is a seller, TopDogSellers, that is selling a light fixture with 5 power cords. Is that overkill or normal? (I would post a link but I can't get it to work)

48" Metal Halide Lighting Aquarium 2x250 Watts Bulbs: $300+free shipping

2 power cords for 2 MH, one for 4 65w actinic blubs, 1 for the fans, and 1 for the 6 LEDs.

Also, does anyone have any experiences with these guys? Is this too good to be true?

While I think the 2 MH could be on the same power cord - the other ones are justifiable because many aquarists like to keep certain lighting features on different electric timers.

So, being able to plug the Actinics and the LEDs into their own timers lets you create a more realistic day-lighting cycle.

There are other fixtures out there that run on a single cord, but they have manual switches for their different lights, so if you want to go from day to night with the LEDs, you have to get up and remember to flip the switch every day.

True, I didn't think about it that way. Does $300 sound a little too cheap though for that setup? AquaticLife has the same setup on Drs. Foster & Smith but for around $800. Am I paying that much more for a name?

Sorry, I'm not that experienced with high-end lighting myself. I'm a freshie with a tank that doesn't grow anything but Java Moss, so the only lights it has are a NO Flourescent, and a 5-bulb LED moonlight I bought and installed in the hood.

Hopefully someone with more lighting experience can comment for you.

I would expect that each of the MH has a separate ballast with a chord. I'm surprised that the fans aren't tied into the MH or actinics and is temp controlled, but other than that cord it seems about right.

I have found that when it comes to lighting a brand name usually does mean something. Also a quality retailer like the Drs. helps too. When I ordered a 3x250 MH with 4x96w PC fixture from them, it was shipped with all bulbs installed. The PC's broke in shipping (twice) and they refused to just send new bulbs. They said they would send a new unit. The 3rd time I insisted they send the bulbs separately and that worked. Not sure you get that kind of service on eBay. And yes, $300 for that fixture makes me wonder about the quality of the fixture, the ballasts and the bulbs.

I think I found the fixture you are looking at.
It makes no mention of what brand 15k MH or T5 actinic bulbs come with it. I would suggest you replace the bulbs within 3 - 6 months.
Next, it does not state the T5s have highly polished, individual, parabolic reflectors. It is that type of reflector that gives T5 bulbs the advantage. Without individual, parabolic reflectors over each bulb, you will not get the light output you need.
Lastly, these are CE not UL certified. CE is the European equivalent of UL, but leads me to believe this is a Chinese made knock off.

Oh, just noticed the "No guarantees and no insurance coverage on Free Items.", and no mention of any warranty on the fixture or ballasts.

I am looking at that light now too.... Only because it too has the same lights that I have on my compact and was told I do not have enough lighting for my size tank. Except I do not have the Metal Halides which is the only difference. This is a very good price for that system but you need to know who the manufactor is before buying it.....

Features:

• Dimensions - 47.50” x 15.00” x 3.00”
  • Dimensions w/brackets - 48.00” x 18.00” x 6.25”
  • Supports 2x 250W HQI FC2 lamps
  • Supports 4x 65W power compact lamps
  • Supports 6x dual Bluemoon LED
  • Individual power cords for each function
  • External HQI controllers
  • Internal power compact ballasts
  • Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
  • Heavy duty cooling fan
  • Tempered glass splash guard
  • Mounting legs
  • Straight pin sockets
  • Double Ended FC2 HQI sockets
  • Highly polished reflector
  • CE Certified

Hey guys I was curious about this too so I sent Top Dog Sellers an email and the 24" Metal Halide Light MH Aquarium Marine Reef 380W to see who makes those lights not sure if it is the same for the 48" one but Odyssea is the maker for the 24". I would not buy one from Odyssea I have read to many reviews and not good...

I had the misfortune of buying an Odyssea light fixture once upon a time. NEVER AGAIN!
They determined after a month of emails back and forth that ballast died, so they sent me a new one. It was soldered in place inside the fixture. They expected me to remove the bad one and replace it. Fortunately it was a small fixture for my sump so I just trashed it after finding that the new ballast did not fire either.

They said that there is a reflector for each light. I'm waiting for a response on who the manufacturer is for the 48" (probably the same as the 24" - Odyssea)

Ok, it's Odyssea for the 48" as well. So is the price worth trying or should I just consider it a "D" piece of equipment and save the extra $200 for an "A" piece?

Search around on that brand name and I think you'll find interesting pictures of what happens when a light fixture catches on fire.

Yes. Cheap light fixtures are usually just that. It's one place where if you are not a DIYer, pay the extra for a well known quality fixture.

Back
Top Bottom