50 gal acrylic or 55 gal glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilla4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I tore down my ten and 12 g tanks last year to move, and so I'm getting ready to get started again!

This time I'm debating between a seaclear 50g and a normal 55g glass tank.

The pros of the acrylic are that it's lighter, clearer, and has a smaller footprint.

The cons are that it seems algae gets on the top of the tank under the "lip" where I doubt the snails will get it. And it scratches easily. Both really bug me, cuz I will see them.

The height of the two tanks is close, and I intend to grow plants. So that means extra light, as well. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do for light, or if I should even go coverless?

As for what's in the tank: I'm thinking maybe sand, yoyo loaches, and malaysian trumpet snails. I'll have to figure out what plants will go in - if it will be just plants that attach themselves to driftwood, or actually root, and what does well in sand... I'm not sure that ghost shrimp will survive with the loaches, since I hear they tend to eat them. And for the top part of the tank I'm not sure what I will get? Female bettas? Gourami? Rasboras? .... I guess I will look into loaches more to see what they go along with.

You may want to consider which one will be easier to purchase accesories for. If the acrylic tank is an odd lenth it may be difficult and expesive to find a hood. The 55 gal glass is 48 in length and will use 2 standard 24 inch hoods, they are common and cheap. Bulbs may also be a problem with odd sized tanks and hoods.

Back
Top Bottom