Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

50 gallon reseal

Summary. Got a stand and tank (50gallon) from a friend, tank is 30 years old, thick glass. Silicone was coming away and easy to peel off. I cleaned it and started removing the old silicone. Job went well, only issue is there is a piece about 5" long on the bottom of the tank where the silicone between the glass came out as well. Is this going to be an issue when I reseal it? Or just go ahead and reseal it, let it cure, fill it with water out on the deck and let it sit for a few weeks and see if it leaks? The tank owes me nothing as I got it for free, just thought I would see if I could salvage it. Glass came clean and next to nothing for scratches.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would say the safest thing would be to tear it completely down and reassemble it .New silicone does not stick well to old and if it came out from between the glass in that one spot I wouldn't trust it to not come out somewhere else after you reseal it . Tanks are cheaper than a 50+ gallon clean up...lol

Old 07-19-2019, 06:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I would say the safest thing would be to tear it completely down and reassemble it .New silicone does not stick well to old and if it came out from between the glass in that one spot I wouldn't trust it to not come out somewhere else after you reseal it . Tanks are cheaper than a 50+ gallon clean up...lol
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I may get the kid a beardy and turn it into a terrarium instead.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

That will work,but I would reseal the part where the silicone came out from between the glass just in case the beardy spills his water bowl....lol
Old 07-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
That will work,but I would reseal the part where the silicone came out from between the glass just in case the beardy spills his water bowl....lol
I'm going to seal it anyway and test if it will leak or not as well, just in case. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok...Good luck!

Tags
50 gallon, gallon, sea, seal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com