50 gallon reseal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbalaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Summary. Got a stand and tank (50gallon) from a friend, tank is 30 years old, thick glass. Silicone was coming away and easy to peel off. I cleaned it and started removing the old silicone. Job went well, only issue is there is a piece about 5" long on the bottom of the tank where the silicone between the glass came out as well. Is this going to be an issue when I reseal it? Or just go ahead and reseal it, let it cure, fill it with water out on the deck and let it sit for a few weeks and see if it leaks? The tank owes me nothing as I got it for free, just thought I would see if I could salvage it. Glass came clean and next to nothing for scratches.

I would say the safest thing would be to tear it completely down and reassemble it .New silicone does not stick well to old and if it came out from between the glass in that one spot I wouldn't trust it to not come out somewhere else after you reseal it . Tanks are cheaper than a 50+ gallon clean up...lol

I would say the safest thing would be to tear it completely down and reassemble it .New silicone does not stick well to old and if it came out from between the glass in that one spot I wouldn't trust it to not come out somewhere else after you reseal it . Tanks are cheaper than a 50+ gallon clean up...lol
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I may get the kid a beardy and turn it into a terrarium instead.

That will work,but I would reseal the part where the silicone came out from between the glass just in case the beardy spills his water bowl....lol

That will work,but I would reseal the part where the silicone came out from between the glass just in case the beardy spills his water bowl....lol
I'm going to seal it anyway and test if it will leak or not as well, just in case. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom