50 gallon.. what kind of filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just aquired (picked it up yesterday) a 50 gallon tank. In the tank is a Red Ear Slider turtle (about 4.5"), 3 goldfish (5", 2", 3"), some bricks for the turtle to get up out of the water. I need to know what kind of filter to stick on this thing? I temporarily stuck a corner PenPlax cartridge filter on it until I can find something better. this will only work temporarily since it only has a pump for about 20 gallons on it. :) I have a Penguin 125 on my 20 gallon fish tank, but I don't think something like that would do, because the water level is below the inlet pipe. Any suggestions that would work for the turtle as well as the fish? :?:

Hagen makes a series of internal power filters, called the Fluval Internal ... they have several different sizes, and I've seen them used in setups simlar to yours. Tetra or Marineland probably make similar products. I think some sort of internal filter is your best bet.

Alternately, you could use a small canister filter, like a Via Aqua, Filstar or Fluval 204... setup it up similar to the crude diagram I attached.

another idea for you, instead of using a canister to make the waterfall in the diagram, you could get a small fountain pump (walmart ~$15) and pump water from the goldfish pond area up over your bricks, so it trickles back into the pond ... this will establish a wet/dry biofilter for you that will help keep your ammonia and nitrite levels down (especially with messy goldfish).

You would still need something else to do your chemical and mechanical filtration, perhaps instead of a fountain pump you could use a bigger powerhead, and attach a "quick filter" to it, which would cover all the bases

Sorry ckid, a ugf would likely be a bad idea with goldfish and turtle, too much waste.

glmcell, between the turtle and the goldies, there will be a LOT of waste generated, so I don't think the "pump only" option would be enough filtration.

I have no experience with the internal filters, so I can't really comment there.

Now, glmcell's idea that he diagrammed WITH a cannister is bloody brilliant! I think it would function very well, and look realy cool too. It's your basic palludarium set up, and should work really well for fish and turtle.

glmclell said:
... You would still need something else to do your chemical and mechanical filtration...

sorry if my original post was unclear, I do tend to ramble when ideas are coming to mind.

I had mentioned that extra filtration would be required in addition to the pump for the waterfall

glmclell.. I like the diagram... :D Thanks for putting in that effort.
I think the previous owner had the undergravel at one time? I have the plastic squares from it, but that is it. I also received a Penguin 660 power head with a sponge thing on the intake... that I have no idea what to use it for? Any idea on how to use it? Would this help filtration at all? Do I use it in combination with anything?
Why isn't the Undergravel Filter system used anymore? And so you are saying don't use this kind?
I have to find something inexpensive, that actually works, and top priority is to keep it from smelling like 'FISH', or my husband will make me keep it outside :(

the fish smell is from ammonia, among other things ... biological and chemical filtration will take care of that

marineland doesn't advertise any type of filtration add-on for the Penguin, although it would probably mate with a Hagen quick-filter, all these devices seem to have similar tubing dimensions.

the foam prefilter on the intake is for keeping large debris from getting stuck in the powerhead.. You could use it as a pump to bring water up from your pond area and dump it onto the turtles rocks.

with as high a bioload as you have, you'll need a lot of filtration, I think the canister filter is the easiest and most economical way to accomplish the task.

If you purchase a 2 tray canister, you should fill the first tray with ZeoCarb (or any carbon + zeolite) mixture ... this works excellent at absorbing ammonia, nitrites and odors ... fill the second tray with a medium foam or filter floss, this will screen out any debris that was too large for the carbon to filter. If you get a 3 tray, first tray carbon, second tray foam/floss, third tray pure zeolite (also called ammosorb).

Like the diagram pictured, running the water over the rocks will oxygenate your water and allow biological filtration to occur, further purifying the water, not to mention the soothing sounds of running water :wink:

your penguin would fit perfect in the diagram where the powerhead is pictured, or that general area, to provide a little extra water movement.

-----

The under gravel filter won't work because your waterlevel is too low, and your bioload / waste load is so high that it will just clog up and need constant cleaning.

-----

As far as inexpensive, a lot of 'cheap' filters won't work because of your low water level and high amount of waste being generated.

You can get the fluval 204 for around $50 online ... or the 304 for $70, the difference being the 304's pump is about 2x as strong, and it has three trays instead of two

----

Good luck with your project, let us know how it works out and feel free to ask away!

My vote goes to the canister...get the largest one you can afford. Penn Plax has a new line of canisters out that are affordable...might check into one of them as well.

Only thing with Penn Plax is they're some huge multinational plastic company - they make a LOT more than just aquarium / pet related products ... if you've ever tried to call them regarding one of their products, it's not a very easy task

they make some very nice looking decorations, and their injection modeled plastic plants hold up really well to repeated strong bleachings, but I dunno if I'd want to buy something that might need "support" from company that is hard to contact.

Not to "sell" the fluval, but I've contacted Hagen serveral times regarding mine and they've always taken care of the problem promptly and without extra 'guff'.

I agree that the Fluval filters are good. I have one that's been running for years and never needed anything other than a cleaning.

Wow!! Thank you soooooooo much for the explanation on filter types glmclell. I would really like the canister type filter, but the trick is getting my husband to let me actually buy one. I have heard only good things about them and just need to find one that works and is inexpensive (maybe only in the ideal world). Any ideas of places that carry the canister filter at low cost? Internet site?
Thanks again for all the help so far... I asked the question on another site and was just totally ignored. :x Oh, well.

Back
Top Bottom