55 gal stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in the market for a 55 gal aquarium stand, and was looking for some thing of quality, trying to stay away from the pet smart pet co marineland Particle board backed stands. The 55 will weigh over 500 pounds so with this size tank I am looking for a little more of a serious stand. I live in the DFW area of TX, I don't want to spend a small fortune but some thing that's decent and I won't have to worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've built plenty of my own for a fraction of the cost. All 2x4 and 1/2" plywood. 2-1/2 to 3 hours depending on the number of beers involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Do you have a link to a templet or a DIY instruction you follow?

Do you have a link to a templet or a DIY instruction you follow?

I came up with my own plan. Will upload photos from desktop after work with measurements I used. On mobile device now. It's solid as a rock !!!

Check the used furniture stores in your area. Sometimes they have them. And/or a good sturdy 5' dresser. (real wood not particle). A lot of people say no, but I had a 55 on one for over 5 years with no problems, and the drawers came in real handy.

I've built plenty of my own for a fraction of the cost. All 2x4 and 1/2" plywood. 2-1/2 to 3 hours depending on the number of beers involved.

+1 as far as templates go just depends on how tall you want it here's a couple pics of mine gives plenty of storage as well if you search YouTube there's plenty of videos to get you started

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1414012459439.jpg
    1414012459439.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 1414012475651.jpg
    1414012475651.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 84
Sorry for the delay, fireman. Here's the stand I did for my 55. It's 60" long, 27" tall, and 20" deep.

Materials were:
3 2x4-10'
2 2x4-8'
1 4x8 -1/2" plywood

I cut 2 of the 10 footers to 56-1/2" and got 4 pieces out of that for the top and bottom front and back. The 3rd 10 footer I cut 4, 27" pieces for legs. I cut 1 8 footer into 4, 20" sections. The other 8 footer I cut 3, 16-1/2" pieces for bracing. 2 on top frame and 1 on bottom. I ripped the plywood 20" wide for the top and bottom but I cut out the bottom for the legs and cut the bottom piece in half to fit in between. The center cut rests directly above my brace equally. I used self tapping drywall screws since they are thinner and won't split the 2x4's. Hope this works for you, and let me know if I got you lost somewhere.

Attachments

• 1026.jpg
    1026.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 1029.jpg
    1029.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 1031.jpg
    1031.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 1032.jpg
    1032.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 78
And that holds a full 55 even without center braces in the middle? I'm paranoid so I'll probably modify it and add center pieces for more strength but other than that it looks simple enough, now I just need a saw! Did you wrap the outside in ply wood or paint and make cabinet doors or anything? I was thinking I'd like to have a 20L under to age and heat water for water changes along with storage of my canister so idk if I'll be able to get center braces in

Looks solid to me. I did something very similar frame wise. Wrapped it with 3/4" oak ply, put on corner edging. Banded the top edging and put an opening in the front. The dog toys go into the body with the fish on top. Both the dog and the wife love it. you could do the same and still brace it better if you feel it necessary. Center the hole with braces just inside from there, and even put doors on if you like.

And that holds a full 55 even without center braces in the middle? I'm paranoid so I'll probably modify it and add center pieces for more strength but other than that it looks simple enough, now I just need a saw! Did you wrap the outside in ply wood or paint and make cabinet doors or anything? I was thinking I'd like to have a 20L under to age and heat water for water changes along with storage of my canister so idk if I'll be able to get center braces in

It sure does hold it well !!! No center braces, just sits as you see it there. I did nothing else to it but cover it with an old sheet. Due to where it sits, doors would not have been a good option as the front is only about 4" from the side of the couch. When living arrangements change, I will be facing it with either cherry or birch. And doors and trim to match.

The first one I made was for my 75g that is currently collecting dust in the garage along with 11 other tanks. That stand wouldn't fit around the corners up to the third floor, lol. And I wouldn't want to push that much weight up here also. Three tanks is enough for now. I made that one with studs at 2' intervals (it's 6' long) and I'll load up some pics of that tomorrow. In hindsight I would change how I placed them as it was a "rough draft" going together. Also on both of them, I would put doors in both ends for easier access, especially if there's studs in the center. It makes it much easier to slide a tank/sump in if that's your choice for filtration.

I should point out also that I used a long, thin, multiple outlet strip that fit perfectly under the top rear crossmember which allowed for a nice drip loop. Similar to this one. http://www.cablewholesale.com/produ...dium=organic&gclid=COeO4J-nycECFeRj7AoduzIA_g And I'd say this sounds like a good price. (Hmm... maybe time to stock up lol)
Hope this helps out some more. Keep us posted !!

It's probably over kill. The thing weighs a ton. I made it 49.5" long, 13.5" deep and 36" tall. Pretty much the exact dimensions of the tank in depth and length, and I plan on putting a lip of moulding around the tank surrounding the base (top of the stand) . I used 2.5" inch nails, some elmers wood glue cause Eh why not and I used about 8 2x4x10s.

No such thing as over building...just using more material for safety

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome. Nice job with the flush mount doors. Trim really dresses it up. Not just purty, good structural design.

Back
Top Bottom