55 gal, stand wobbly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lreilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
Help. I just set up my first 55 gal tank. The stand I bought is a black iron frame with the L shaped legs in the back and a more rounded design for the front two legs. With two brackets on the bottom connecting the base. All pre soldered . I did no assembly. The tank is level and centered on it. But is is kind of shaky. The whole thing will sway a little with any move movement. Not like it is going to fall over at any moment, but more as if you can see it move when you walk by. It is on a hard floor. Is this normal. Or should I empty it out and get a different stand. Please I really need help. I don't want some thing unsafe for my fish or my children

Are you saying the tank moves slightly when you walk by it or you can basicly stand in front of it and gently move it back and forth? If its the first then it sounds like your floor might need some reinforcment at that location. If its the later then it really sounds like the stand itself has some integreity issues.

The tank should not move at all once its loaded up with water. Thats a significant amount of weight and to have it tedder like that is not good.

I would definitely drain this and start over! This is a dangerous situation. Make sure you have it against a load-bearing wall and be sure it straddles floor joists.

Welcome to AA :eek:

I share your concern with that deal!

I agree with all of the above, drain it, and if you see that the stand itself is wobbly or weak in ANY way I would make a beeline for the store and return it.

It benefits the hobbyist community when you show your vote against underbuilt fish stands. That is a serious issue and you have about 500lbs of stuff on that stand with the glass, water and gravel. If it fell over it could really injure someone or worse as you said.

You could get a nice heavy wood stand with a big base on it and you'll sleep a heck of a lot better knowing that when the kids accidentally crash into it when they are playing, that they are safe from harm. Also, a wood stand will distribute the load much better across the joists, and not have up to 125lbs per square inch of load pressure like the feet on your current stand have.

Let us know how it turns out, we will be interested to hear of your solution and also to help out with any further aquarium issues!

Speaking of unstable stands, I have some concern about the particle board stands that are readily available, with a wood or simulated wood veneer. To me, particle board and water don't go too well together. I like a solid stand. Those welded iron stands usually are very sturdy, and have been in the hobby for so long, so my first suspect is the floor in the room, but it could be the stand if there is a loose weld, or it was constructed improperly. I like a more "furniture-like" stand, as I have 3 wild kids!

Thanks

Thank you for your help. I all ready drained it and now am looking for a better stand. The floor was fine, I believe the problem lied with the stand it's self. It's going back to the store. I have been caring for fish for a couple years now in smaller tanks. It alarmed me that the large one moved and needed to know that my concerns were founded. I am the only one I know who has a real interest. So it was really nice to hear from other people. Thank you for your replys and concern.

Good luck with a new stand, and be thankful that you paid attention! I think there are many folks out there who would have decided to leave it alone and hope for the best. You saved yourself a lot by starting over with a better stand.

I had one of those stands years ago, and had the same problem. I cross braced the stand, but even then wasn't convinced. I only use solid wood stands (except for my particle board stand I've had for about 10 years below my 45 gal).

I just wanted to update. I got a new wood stand with no problems. It is up and running. I transfered the fish from one of my 10 gals and they are doing extremely well. I am so happy that I restarted.

I've used wrought iron stands for years, and yes, they do sway a bit if they are bumped. This does have a tendency to make you nervous, but I've never had a problem with leaks or cracks with any of them. I believe the swaying is somewhat normal because of their design. But my tanks are all in a basement on a concrete floor, which is one reason why I probably don't notice the swaying. If you have the tank in a high traffic area on a wood floor, it would probably be best to go with a good wood stand. Just my two cents worth.

I have two iron stands on two different 10gal tanks and I have never had any trouble with them. When I got the larger one it did not behave like the others so I purposely went to the others and bumped them. They moved but ever so slightly. I have three high energy children and feel much better knowing that they are not going to bring it down by running into it.

Back
Top Bottom