55 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaMario

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi this is my first post and I was wanting to see if the 55 gallon from Walmart is a good one to buy? I've had aquariums before and I just needed someone else's opinion.. I'd appreciate feedback... Thanks

Thanks I have a 30 gallon but I want a planted 55 gallon..

Hi this is my first post and I was wanting to see if the 55 gallon from Walmart is a good one to buy? I've had aquariums before and I just needed someone else's opinion.. I'd appreciate feedback... Thanks

Actually yes and no. if u want equipment that last buy parts seperated. U may pay a little more for each part but it is much better equipment. And if u are new to aquariums and u want to try it go for it. But I will tell u that I support buying parts seperate cause if u like it u already have the great equipment that will last. And here at AA most will say DIY is the cheapest and one of the best plus we can tell u how.

Do you have any suggestions for sand?? I heard pool sand is better but I don't know what kind to get?

Hi if planning a planted tank i would recommend using a proper plant substrate - I use JBL Manado,the only drawback is that it is a darkish colour. In the photo it is on the left,on the right is JBL 'riversand' substrate. This tank has only been set up for a month and the growth rate is phenomenal:eek:

Attachments

• plants in (Large).jpg
    plants in (Large).jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 68
Those plants look pretty good. I was thinking about getting small plants and maybe a piece of drift wood with Java moss on it...

Hi that photo is from a month ago and I really must update that photo as the plants are doing really well. The Java moss is very good ,but getting it to stay on the wood takes some doing and one I have yet to acheive:oops: but it can be purchased already attached if a little dearer but worth it in my opinion:)

My friend said to use thread because it Bio degrades and it stays on good.

My friend said to use thread because it Bio degrades and it stays on good.

Well if planted the right way I would use eco complete but that is just me and my opinion. But some plants that are easy to care for don't totally need fertilizer. My plants were put into pool filter sand from lowe's (yes much better than play sand) and I simply added root tabs and fertilized my water every water change.

I thought about getting those do you know how much they are? The pellets you put at the plant roots?

I thought about getting those do you know how much they are? The pellets you put at the plant roots?

Um I paid $5 I think for 10 Sechem root tads or pellets. Yeah u make a hole with ur finger and put the pellet in the sand. I ordered from kensfish.com.

I go to PETCO. They have pretty good stuff. I'll have my 55 gallon in two months... :)

I go to PETCO. They have pretty good stuff. I'll have my 55 gallon in two months... :)

U may want to look around still. I looked and got a rena xp4 for free, ehiem 2217 for $125, and Aquaclear 70 for $35.

Back
Top Bottom