55 Gallon Dimensions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

defenestrator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All,

I am researching my first saltwater setup and want to know how you feel about the dimension of a 55 gallon.

I have seen 55 gallons come in the following dimensions. Which do you prefer and why?

48 X 13 X 20

or

36 X 18 X 20

Thank you,

defenestrator

36 X 18 X 20

I prefer the tank that gives the greates surface area. Creating a reef in an 18" wide tank gives lots more freedom in aquascaping which makes for a more interesting reef. One draw back would be if you were planning a tang, they need a minimum of four feet of tank lengt, preferrably with a minimum of 18" in width.

never seen a 36x18x20 55g but i do know all-glass makes a 36x18x18 50g. i think 13" is too narrow for lr and ample swimming room. if you can get a 48x18 footprint 75g or 90g youd most likely be happier with it.

I have a 48x13x20 and wish I had a deeper one the 13" front to back is too narrow for a good live rock aquascape. I do like the 48" length though and would have gotten a much larger tank from the start if I knew like a 75 or 90 gallon.

Next tank will be a 180 gallon 72x24x24 :) coulda shoulda woulda.....oh well there is always next time lol.

Back
Top Bottom