Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Which heater(s) should I buy??
Option 1: Stealth heater 200-Watt 4 50.00%
Option 2: Visi-Therm 300-Watt 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to bunebop
55 gallon heater question (advice needed)

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking into replacing the heaters on my 55 gallon. I currently have about the cheapest hang-on-the-back heaters available to man and they seem to be acting up a bit and on one of my other tanks I had an issue w/ the same kind boiling fish and then not heating and all kinds of stuff. I replaced the heater on the other tank yesterday, but I'm going to order the other one online since they're not as problematic and I can wait for them to ship. I plan on still having 2 heaters in my tank... one on each side so that the tank is not heated unevenly, and I'm looking at these:

Option 1: 2 of these: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=2283 I know it said up to 50 gal on the website, but I have the box here from the heater I bought yesterday and the box says that model is up to 55 gallons (which is what I have) and they also have the lifetime warranty and was highly recommended from the store

Option 2: 2 of these: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=3055 It has more watts in case I ever upgrade my tank to a bigger one and they shouldn't have to work as hard since they're for bigger tanks. However they are glass and I don't know if they're any better.

They're both made by Marineland, but one is apparently "deluxe" and the other isn't. What are your opinions on these/which would you guys buy for your tanks?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

~55 galFW ~6 zebra danios (I think, haven't seen some in a while), ~7 black skirt tetras, 1 clown pleco, 1 cory cat, 3 pit bull plecos, 1 baby guppy in a breeders net, and 1 red minor tetra

I also have a couple other tanks w/o fish as right now I do not have the room/time and there is a chance of moving in the "near" future so I don't want to get more fish for them. I'm downsizing for the moment.
bunebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would definately go with the Stealth, much better than the glass ones. You could have two 150 Watt Stealths. With heaters, the general rule of thumb is 5 Watts per gal. So you'll need 275 Watts.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Here's a review of the Visi-Therm AA Has review pages - Who knew?

I vote for the Visi-therm. Actually, since they are made by the same company, you can't go wrong.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to bunebop
Thanks for the advice. I ended up ordering 2 of the 300-watt one's yesterday. Prolly get em next week

~55 galFW ~6 zebra danios (I think, haven't seen some in a while), ~7 black skirt tetras, 1 clown pleco, 1 cory cat, 3 pit bull plecos, 1 baby guppy in a breeders net, and 1 red minor tetra

I also have a couple other tanks w/o fish as right now I do not have the room/time and there is a chance of moving in the "near" future so I don't want to get more fish for them. I'm downsizing for the moment.
bunebop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com