55 gallon metaframe leaker ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kramsee1957

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I inherited with the purchase of my house ( 15 years ago ) an unused 55 gallon metaframe tank. For some reason, the previous owner built it into a wall in the laundry room in an unfinished basement. Maybe, about 5 years ago, I filled it, just out of curiosity and it was a leaker, but due to it being built in, I couldn't find the leak, so, I just left it alone. Due to my recent retirement and looking for hobbies to pursue, I decided to take back up my old pasttime of raising tropical fish, so, I dug out the 55 gallon out of the wall, figuring, what a great way to start back up.

Fortunately, I found that it apparently hasn't been touched in all the years it's been there. No sealent in the corners other than the original black tar between the frame and glass, saving me having to scrape out the old stuff. All the glass butts up tightly against the other glass but I noticed that at some areas there is about a fingernails thickness of space between the slate bottom and the glass. Plus, while cleaning it with alcohol, I find what appaears to be a hairline crack in the top of the slate although it doesn't appear on the bottom when I flipped it over and looked.

My plans: running a thin bead of caulk along the edges of the slate to fill the voids then pressing in a piece of plexiglass or glass then caulking that to the glass as if thats the original bottom with of course, cauling the the glass sides. Is this a viable solution?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom