Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The 180 will be drilled. Preferably dual overflows, but I'm not sure how that works as far as a sump goes. Do both overflows feed one sump, or do I need two separate ones?

Old 04-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

feeds one sump,there are quite a few different styles you can have but I would keep it as simple as possible,3 sections with baffles,water inlet through filter socks into 1st section with skimmer and heaters in it,then onto baffles into 2nd section with sand,chaeto and LR,through to last section with return pump

David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

This may not be what you are looking for but I'm going to be building a 55g sump as well. Here is my thread with a couple different designs:

Yet another sump thread! Yea!

I think I'm going to stick with the one where the fuge is at the far left and the return pump will be split having most of the water return to the tank and a small portion going to the fuge.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok everybody, the new tank is ordered. I went with a 220, so while I wait it is time to start building this sump. I will draw up something when I get a chance. I had read you should use glass to separate sections, is it not possible to use plexi glass and silicone?

As far as the design, I was thinking of 4 sections. The tank was a freshwater setup and has a center divider. Being that there are two small light fixtures fitted for each half i though I would keep one to set up the fuge. How much lighting does a refuge need?

I plan to plumb both overflows to one side of the sump with a ball valve following the tee that joins them. The first section would contain the skimmer, followed by 3 baffles then a section with rock rubble. That would be one half of the tank, the second half would be the refuge followed by a small section for the return pump. This is my first build so I'm not sure how well my plan will come together. Please feel free to offer input about anything, I'm open to changes.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard the same thing about needing to use glass as a divider, but have seen others use plexiglass and it worked for them so I'm on the fence about it. I was going to use plexi to build mine and see how it went because I think I can cut plexi where I would have to pay someone to cut glass.

The fuge does not need much light (IE: I was going to use a regular light fixture 60 watt bulb). Having one of those light fixtures should work very well.

So is your idea skimmer-rubble-fuge-return? I think it will work but I was never really sure how to get the fuge as part of the system myself because it seems like the water would just flow along the top. Also, from what I understand, the fuge does not need as much water flow as the other sections. It is good to have the skimmer first but I'm not sure if you want the bubble trap there or at the end? I'm still learning too.

I will be following along so I can learn for when I have to build mine in the next couple weeks!

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com