55 Gallon Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
What would I need to turn a 55 gallon tank into a sump? I plan on buying a 180 gallon this summer and I have a vacant 55 gallon in the garage. What kind of time/hassle am I dealing with? What materials would I need? Any help is appreciated.

Of course I should probably start by asking if a 55 is a big enough sump for a 180 DT.

I'm building the stand and canopy myself, I'm making it very tall so that you won't have to stoop to view the DT.

Thanks I got my answer early on! I want a low stand so i can reach in and do stuff in the tank. lol

Appreciate the thread guys...a premade sump it is for me then!

lol sorry wish I could help. I am the super noob at this. i have my own help thread for dummies on here just for the basics. hehe

The guru's will come along, it's been kinda slow lately it seems here. Maybe the holidays and the beginning of the week explains it...

Still gonna follow though

Lol, I have time. I'm definitely keeping the 55, and I have nothing going in it. I won't have the new tank for atleast a few months.

We need details:

Do you want to drill the tank?

Do you want a fuge?

but in time/hassle it depends how able you are with your hands,
Being a computer nerd, I am not very good when it comes the those things and I built my sump in 5 hours total work time, not including silicone dry and cure time, and pvc cement dry and cure time.

But that doesn't include the research, I designed my own pipe style overflow, it's more of a self priming syphon to be exact, so that added some time to it.

Cost was around $120 considering I salvaged a pump I had lying around.

Hassle wasn't that much, considering I enjoyed my work.

But the time is really a relative thing, my sump is simple so it didn't take long, pipe in, pipe out, a fuge, a stand in protien skimmer, 4 baffles.

The 180 will be drilled. Preferably dual overflows, but I'm not sure how that works as far as a sump goes. Do both overflows feed one sump, or do I need two separate ones?

feeds one sump,there are quite a few different styles you can have but I would keep it as simple as possible,3 sections with baffles,water inlet through filter socks into 1st section with skimmer and heaters in it,then onto baffles into 2nd section with sand,chaeto and LR,through to last section with return pump

This may not be what you are looking for but I'm going to be building a 55g sump as well. Here is my thread with a couple different designs:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/yet-another-sump-thread-yea-140895.html

I think I'm going to stick with the one where the fuge is at the far left and the return pump will be split having most of the water return to the tank and a small portion going to the fuge.

Ok everybody, the new tank is ordered. I went with a 220, so while I wait it is time to start building this sump. I will draw up something when I get a chance. I had read you should use glass to separate sections, is it not possible to use plexi glass and silicone?

As far as the design, I was thinking of 4 sections. The tank was a freshwater setup and has a center divider. Being that there are two small light fixtures fitted for each half i though I would keep one to set up the fuge. How much lighting does a refuge need?

I plan to plumb both overflows to one side of the sump with a ball valve following the tee that joins them. The first section would contain the skimmer, followed by 3 baffles then a section with rock rubble. That would be one half of the tank, the second half would be the refuge followed by a small section for the return pump. This is my first build so I'm not sure how well my plan will come together. Please feel free to offer input about anything, I'm open to changes.

I've heard the same thing about needing to use glass as a divider, but have seen others use plexiglass and it worked for them so I'm on the fence about it. I was going to use plexi to build mine and see how it went because I think I can cut plexi where I would have to pay someone to cut glass.

The fuge does not need much light (IE: I was going to use a regular light fixture 60 watt bulb). Having one of those light fixtures should work very well.

So is your idea skimmer-rubble-fuge-return? I think it will work but I was never really sure how to get the fuge as part of the system myself because it seems like the water would just flow along the top. Also, from what I understand, the fuge does not need as much water flow as the other sections. It is good to have the skimmer first but I'm not sure if you want the bubble trap there or at the end? I'm still learning too.

I will be following along so I can learn for when I have to build mine in the next couple weeks!

Back
Top Bottom