55 Gallon Tank Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakers88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm curious on what everyone thinks a decent lighting setup is for 48x13x21 55 gallon tank. FOWLR and some inverts, and maybe an anemone or two, I do not want to run Metal Halides cause of the heat and price of them, someone had told me all I need is dual bulb setup with a fluorescent 10K and like a 6500 blue actinic but I'm not sure if that will illuminate the tank very well, maybe this setup that I previously stated with the addtion of a LED setup like this one Current USA PowerBrite LED Lighting System, 2x1W 10000K + 2x1W 460nm Blue (Linkable LEDs )

But I was also thinking of building a custom canopy and maybe just buy a ballast and have do all of the lighting custom but I'm not sure how expensive that would get... any help would be appreciated.
:n00b:

You definitely need to decide what you want to keep in the tank first. If it's just FOWLR than almost anything will do. If it's corals or anemones I would suggest a T5HO setup if you don't want to do MHs. I had very good luck with a T5 strip on a 30 long, had no problems with any corals I tried, although I did not have any SPS or anemones.

There are retrofit kits for T5s that you can buy to put in your own canopy, or a ready to go strip. The 48" T5HOs are 54 watts, so 4 of them would allow you to have most photosynthetic inverts. As for bulb color, there is some personal preference, but on a typical 4 bulb setup 2 10000Ks and 2 actinics (420 or 460 nm) is a good start. The 6500K bulbs are not actinic, they are daylight bulbs better for freshwater tanks.

As far as cost, I think it's about the same if you buy a fixture or do it yourself. If you buy a canopy that will definitely cost more. It seems like the components are just as much as a completed fixture, but you get more flexibility doing it yourself.

Thanks for the advice, lighting has been one of my biggest issues as what to do, I'll do some pricing today, thanks again!

Whats a better deal 260W Compact Flourescent 48" for 109.99
Or...
156W 36" T6HO for 109.99

(It's for my 55Gal 48" Tank)

Are you asking about the actual bulb or a specific lighting system?

Just for lighting in general, its mainly going to be just a FOWLR tank but im going to have an anenome or two in it as well, so Im just not sure which one of those if those at all will work.

So you are going reef, FOWLR would indicate no corals (anenome). The 260 might work but the 156 is too short for your tank.

Well I really wanna do 8 T5's but it comes out to be 16 inches wide and my tank is 13 inches wide. I'm going to be building a custom canopy but even with 16" lights my canopy would have to be like 18 or 20 inches which wouldn't work out very well. I could fit a 4 light T5 and a 2 light T5 but I was hoping I could get away with just a 48" T5 4 tube

Back
Top Bottom