Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gotcha. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Success! It took far longer than I thought it would, but here is the finished product (mostly, still tweaking it).

It's been wonderful getting to work with all that extra space in the new tank. I hope to pick out some good mid ground to foreground plants to help replace all the javafern in there.

My only worry right now is my two 150w heaters seem to be running almost constantly to keep the tank at 75 and the basement will certainly be getting colder soon. Should I pick up some bigger heaters?

The hardware thread probably isn't the place to ask aquascaping advice, but if anyone wants to throw some in there, feel free
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10300.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	25689  

Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks good to me!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

The other issue I noticed is when I turn on/off my basement ceiling light, it will sometimes trip the GFI protector that I have my power strip plugged into. I suppose that means I'm really pushing the amount of electricity that part of the room was build to handle.

I'll have to abandon the plan of having an african cichlid tank nearby.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm in FL so no basements here... but I would be suprised if there was only one circuit for your basement. I would think more than one. How do they do it? I guess it would depend on just how big the basement is... my only experience is visiting my dad in CO and he had 3-4 separate curcuits but the basement was as big as the floor plan of the house.

If your heaters are running all the time then it may be best to get new heaters. If nothing else they will have an early death because of it IMO.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #16

a GFI is different from a circuit breaker. A GFI will trip if there is less electricity coming back through the wiring then going out (you are losing current somewhere and risk fire/shock). For example if the light fixture gets wet and you lose electricity there the GFI will turn off to prevent fire/electrecution. A circuit breaker will turn off when the power being used exceeds that of the circuit breaker.

It is possible for the lights and that particular power outlet to be on the same circuit. If the outlet itself is GFI then the light going on or off shouldn't matter unless the light is plugged in to that or a subsequent outlet.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'm assuming this is a ceiling light in the basement and not a lamp plugged into the same outlet?
if that is the case then the electric is tapped from the gfci outlet box and the wiring is wrong or there is a short in the light fixture somewhere. either way you should have an electrician check it out. it could be very dangerous either in electrical shock hazard or starting a fire. i would discontinue use of that outlet and if possible the light too.
i think current codes dictate that lights have to be on a separate circuit than the outlets. this is easy to do unless it's a finished basement with sheetrock on the ceiling.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Eesh, now I'm getting nervous! The basement light is a ceiling light. Typical florescent fixture set in a lowered dry wall ceiling, though it is within about 5 feet of the wall outlet that has all the fish tank gear plugged in.

Come to think of it, the built in GFI outlets in my bathroom have the same problem. I'll turn on the shower fan and it will trip the outlet and turn the bathroom lights off. Maybe the previous home owner did something odd with the wiring? I had the house inspected for all that before I bought it and it came back fine... but not all home inspectors are created equal.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mind you these GFI trips don't happen all the time. Perhaps one in fifty times I turn off a light switch it'll shut part of the room down.

Tags
55 gallon, conversion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com