Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2009, 02:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I absolutely love my canister filters... since adding one to each of my 55's along with my hob's, ive done less water changes and had much cleaner, clearer water... with the cartridges, it says in the manual not to change the "sponge" until it gets so clogged up rinsing wont clean it back up... the ceramic bio rings are pretty much lifetime, and the only thing you have to do is rinse off the sponge every couple months... ive had to replace my cartridges on my HOB's once so far because they were getting so torn that the carbon was showing and about to fall out.. i highly recommend canisters, and i got both of mine (fluval 305 and 405) for $40 off craigslist... i paid more for my penguin bio-wheel and its 5x the filtration and probably about the same electric consumption

Old 08-10-2009, 02:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

i use aquaclear filters so you dont have to worry about that. besides carbon for the most part isnt needed. i have had sponges in the same filter for a couple years or more.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cool. I have the sponge in my established 20g to build up the micro-organisms, the extra 2 20gs I have leak so i resealed both of them this past sunday.

I have a 20, a 30 and 55 I have no equipment for (not even stands). So it will be a while before I can piece all other them together and hit the dome depot to make the stands (2x4s and ply wood). I figure buy a few items per week to get the empty tanks built up and run now.

Like I have mentioned other places in the forums a 20 is going to my daughter and I have everything I need for that.

The only thing that I find bad about the sponge filter is that it just looks ugly sitting there.... Was wondering if I could put real or fake plants around it, or rocks to hide it, by I would be concerned that it would not get enough water flow to filter.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Think I have decided on the 55 or the 30 to be angel fish. I got two over the weekend and like the look of them.

If I go with them in the 55g it will be my show tank/center piece.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

get some nice african cichlids from lake malawi
Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The two marble angels I picked up are cool. From what I have been reading I also like their behavior.

They mate for life? When one of teh pair dies the other usually stops eating and usually dies?

Oh no, but the problem is that they are the most popular tropical fish to own. But I am too unique to be like everyone else

The problem is going to be trying to theme the tank. I want to stay away from the who Jewish/Christian/Muslim angel motif.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #17
Fish R friends, not food!

Lake Malawi cichlids. I love angels but you really limit yourself as to how many you can have in a tank due to the aggression during mating.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess I have to look more too... I know cichlids are very popular. There are a few I find attractive. To me I'm not so keen on their body shape. But there are a ton of varieties of cichlids in a rainbow of colors.

I don't mean any disrespect. I just haven't seen any with the body shape I like.

The other problem with the cichlids, same problem with the angel but not as bad... is the acidic water preference. I guess with my tap being at about 7.4 or so I should look for a more alkaline loving fish. From what I understand (and I will admit if I am wrong, I am still a newbie) the cichlids want a more acidic flavor and my water should be fine for the angels unless I want to have them greed.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #19
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

cichlids like high ph, around 7.4-7.8 (correct me if im wrong spoon) and angels and other tropical fish prefer 6.8-7.2... im pretty sure on that... with your taps ph, you should be fine for cichlids... i saw some neat ones at petsmart the other day, they called them bumble bee cichlids, they looked like a yellow convict almost... my fiance says we are getting some, i have to read up on them, but i hope theyre a more "community" cichlid instead of a one fish per tank type...
Old 08-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

here is an article i found that covers the ph of several types of fish... might give you a better idea of what you can have without trying to alter your ph of your tap water... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ons/Page1.html

Tags
55 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com