Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #31
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

lol, i know the feeling... what kind of stand are you building? just like 2x4's or something with cabinet doors or shelves? are you going to put a canopy on it? if you do, i want to see the plans... i need one for both my 125 and which ever 55 i keep... have no idea where to start with a canopy lol

Old 08-16-2009, 01:09 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think I am going to go with just the stand and no canopy. 2x4 frame with maybe some shelves and sheeting covering.... Or might just go simplistic and just paint the 2x4 frame.

I don't have a "style" in my apartment. *lol* I save that type of thing for my cooking and trying to aqua-scape my tanks.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
carbon is pointless unless you are needing to remove medications or something of that nature... and i never rinse my cartridges... if they start to clog, i put them in a bucket with tank water in it and swish it around a little... when you rinse them, you rinse out the bacteria, and put chlorine and chloramine in the filter pad, therefore putting it in the tank... just my opinion though

Wow... you guys don't miss anything! I figured most hobbyist know not to use CHLORINATED tap water when rinsing filters.

Yes! I do rinse mine in a bucket of tank water. I'll be more detailed next time. HAHA
Old 08-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #34
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

oh sorry about that lol... usually when somebody says they rinse their filter out, they just run tap water through it until its "clean"... and i meant no disrespect, just thought if you were using tap, you might want to change your method... and i learned on here real quick that probably 90% of these guys say carbon is useless... ive not been using it since joining, same water params as before, plus i dont spend $5.99 on a jar of carbon ever other week anymore i just have some gravel in mine from one of my tanks... i think it actually does more good than the carbon did
Old 08-16-2009, 01:23 AM   #35
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
lol, i know the feeling... what kind of stand are you building? just like 2x4's or something with cabinet doors or shelves? are you going to put a canopy on it? if you do, i want to see the plans... i need one for both my 125 and which ever 55 i keep... have no idea where to start with a canopy lol
ive got a 2x4 stand on one of my 55's... at first i worried about its structural integrity because it is literally made of two 4' long 2x4's bolted to 2 13" 2x4's, with one going down each corner to the same lol... works just fine though.. not as pretty as my cedar stand with doors, but gets the job done
Old 08-16-2009, 02:00 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the stand I got for the 29 gallon looks like a TV stand. I was worrying about it's strength till I was looking at teh stand I got from Wal-Mart for my other 29g... It should hold. But I also might beef it up with a cross-member made of 2x4s.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:13 AM   #37
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

it amazes me at how sturdy the stands actually are... when i was carrying in my 125 stand, i carried it myself with no strain at all... it almost felt flemsy to me... its got the tank which has to weigh 2-300lbs, 100lbs of pfs, rock, water, lights... its got ALOT of weight on it... wood is surprisingly strong
Old 08-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hehehe I would rather over engineer the 55g stand just to be safe. Wood is a bit like concrete in that it is good in certain stress areas and bad in others. Try flexing a 2x4 on the wide side and then on the thin side.... Ply wood is laminated (which causes extra strength in most materials) but they have the grains go at perpendicular angles to help the stress load....

Also funny what a single cross-beam can make.

Oh no I have been hanging around the Engineers at work too much!
Old 08-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #39
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

lol, i lived in the ag shop when i was in school, i mainly welded and fabricated, but did some woodwork (birdhouses lol). I have been thinking about making a nice stand for my 125... something out of 2x6's and 4x4's... maybe a 3/4 plywood top and then those really super thin 1/4" slats to go on the outside and stain... i know how to build the stand, me and my dad built a deck when i was living at home... probably do it something like that, just sit the tank on the plywood and have the sheeting come up a little bit... i just dont know where to start on a canopy? i dont know how i could build it and not worry about being able to lift up my glass tops to feed, etc. ive tried finding plans online, nobody has anything except stand plans...
Old 08-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Let me see if I book marked the one place I did see a canopy stand and will send you the link.

Free Aquarium Stand Plans - 240 Gallon Stand, DIY Aquarium Stand

DIY Tank Stand - The Planted Tank

The second one has plans for a canopy. Worse comes to worse I might be able to draw up some plans in a cad program.

Tags
55 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com