Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

55g need parts suggestion?

Wow, sorry to be a bother again.

I am trying to do things right this time around and seeking advice from folks who have more experience than I do.

I am still not sure if I want to go salt water or fresh for the 55g tank. All I have for it is the glass and lid (with no lights).

I am thinking of a sponge filter for it. Seem like cheap and low maintenance. I bought one for a 20g I wanna set up but haven't run it yet. Link to teh one I am looking at is Lustar Hydro-Sponge Filter 4 at Big Al's Online

I am still not sure for the heater. I think 200 watt is the minimum I would need for a 55g tank.

My other 2 tanks are freshwater and i think I might want to get my feet wet with some salt water. I know the initial cost is more. I am digging getting some star fish but at the same time know nothing about a SW set up. I know if I want coral I will need a chiller (another expense).

I have no idea what live rock is.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction for either set-up. I am looking at semi-cheap priced items and save the money for the fish.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

you cant save any money if you dont know what you want. i wouldnt buy anything until you figure out if you want sw or fw. generally fw is cheaper to set cheaper to run cheaper to stock for the most part. sponge filters are great but shouldnt be the only thing used in a 55 gallon for filtration. you will need to buy some hobs or canisters to filter it. as for the heater it depends what temp the room is. most people say 3-5 wpg for heaters.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are some more aggressive species of FW fish I want to get but at the same time there are some things (like star fish) that are drawing me to SW.

I still need to get the parts for and make a stand for it, not with this pay check already being spent on rent and insurance .

It is the conundrum. Maybe I should take a lesson from my daughter and do some reading on some FW and SW species I am interested in.

The canister filters seem to be almost double the price of the HOB filters. I haven't looked into the replacement cart. prices. Would the choice between the two types be a matter of aesthetics? Or is there a difference (like a scooter and a motorcycle)?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

well for the most part you dont have to replace much of anything with hobs and canisters. the sponges you just clean and call it a day. canisters tend to be better filters because they are able to hold more media and gives you more options.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Give you some idea what mgamer is talking about I have a free 5 gallon hex. I could set it up as a FW tank for he cost of gravel. I have yellow shrimp or guppies I could put in there, so for less than $10 I could have it up and running the plants would be free I have some in all my freshwater tanks that I could use. Even if I had to buy plants and fish it would be less than $20 to get started. The cost of just the LR for the tank would be $20 at least. Then another $15 for a stocking either a watchman gobie or an emerald crab and shrimp. I would have to get a more expenisve bulb which would be about $8. The sand would be another about $10.

I have to wait until the end of Sept. to set it up just because I want to win a bet. I will probably put my shrimp in it and then use my 5.5 for a nano reef.

Live rock is rock that is full of coraline algae and probably has little critters like bristlenworms, starfish and other things I call sea boogers in it.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

With the Marine tanks one of the concerns I have is about the electric usage. The lighting seems to be high end, that might be enough to discourage me as I have electric heating and in N.E. Ohio winters are as bad as in Siberia!

I would love a reef tank but think the upkeep costs (electric mainly) would put me off.

I also do not want to run the risk of a leak by drilling a hole in the 55g tank. Might be an idea to try to set up one of the nano-reef tanks first to get my feet wet.

After a night or two of researching I am now leaning more towards a freshwater set up.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you going to do plants with the FW set up? If you might go with plants later on think ahead when you start stocking some fish will devour plants. There are some nice low light plants.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Might be doing low light plants to help the nitrate/nitrite cycle.

Oh man, friend of mine said she had a 15 g tank she would give me. I saw it when her brother and her brought it over. I was like wow it's a 20g.... Was going to put it on a 20g stand and fill it to see if it is water tight. I was looking at it and thought it might be a 20 long. Took a tape measure to it and it was 30 inches long.... Woot another 30g tank!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:42 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

so you are going to go with fw for the 55gallon?

Tags
55 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com