Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

55g tank fixer upper

so we just acquired a used 55g tank for 15 bucks. one of the corners has a couple chips in the glass but nothing that reaches the seal at all. the glass is super thick, too. my concern is that it does not have the center brace piece. it's not missing, it seems it just was not made with one. without that piece I can't use the 2 glass lids from my 20g tanks that the 55g will be replacing. is there a way I could safely attach a DIY center brace to use my existing glass lids? if not, are there lids made for a tank like this?

Old 07-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

You can silicone a piece of glass in as a center brace. you could also add something to the trim to span the tank and catch the ends of the tops. My choice would be the glass.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD
You can silicone a piece of glass in as a center brace. you could also add something to the trim to span the tank and catch the ends of the tops. My choice would be the glass.
sounds good...any ideas where I need to go to get the glass? I'm assuming I'd have to get it custom cut? if it's pricey, I'd almost rather just find a new top that will fit it as is. at fosterandsmithaquatics.com they have versa-tops, and list a 48" lid, but no other dimensions. can I assume it's for a standard 55g tank? thanks for the help.

Tags
55 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com