55gal Tank Rim Breaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemurLad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought this 55gal off of craigslist a couple of months ago and I'm finally setting it up, but while I was emptying the testing water from it, I noticed that the tank rims were cracked and warped in a few places. With most tanks this probably wouldn't be too big of an issue, but from what I gather, the bracing on 55gals is structural. Here are some pics:

225026_10150174605939032_670114031_6738397_866583_n.jpg

230416_10150174605989032_670114031_6738399_6605965_n.jpg

231161_10150174606024032_670114031_6738400_1620320_n.jpg

224606_10150174606069032_670114031_6738401_5239914_n.jpg

So do I try to fix it or just let it be? It held for 4 days of water testing, so it seems sound, but I'd rather not have 55 gallons of water all over my floor.

I'm not sure what sort of structural integrity issues the cracked/separated/warped plastic might bring.

But I would sure be curious as to what CAUSED these to happen in the first place, especially the big warped part!

Yeah, good point! My guess is that since it was sitting outside for a couple of months, the plastic may have been heated and cooled which shrank and weakened it.

Is the integrity of the cross brace weakened? That would be my concern if it were my tank. The glass isn't strong enough to support a full tank at that length. Other than that, the rim is more trim that anything IME. I've seen big tanks that were rimless and some people here that have removed the rims of their tanks and not had an issue (reported anyway).

if it sat outside then my bets sunlight caused it, cheap plastic and sunlight don't go together. As for the rest, not sure it would hold the way it is, but then its only there to "help" hold it... what kind of stand do you have for it? if its wood you could make some braces and screw them into it(the stand) so that they would take the plastics place, my 125g tank stand has something along those lines to "hold" the tank in place.

I don't think either of the cross braces are weakened as there was no noticeable bowing while it was full. Stand is as simple as it gets: 3 stacks of 3 cinderblocks with 2x4s and a sheet of plywood on top. Maybe I should add some sort of additional brace on top of the current one just for insurance though?

I don't think either of the cross braces are weakened as there was no noticeable bowing while it was full. Should I add some sort of additional brace on top of the current one just for insurance though?

That's a good idea. You just want to keep those two walls from moving away from each other.

Then that is what I'll do, thanks guys! :) Build thread is coming! I'm gonna go with a dirt base for this one! :D

I don't like it. While some may think the trim is decorative, it's not. The trim is structural. That center cross support keeps the tank from bowing. With the trim cracked like that, it looks to me like it could just pop right off. I wouldn't feel comfortable setting it up, and I don't worry about stuff much.

Then do you suggest I re-trim it myself? Glasscages sells replacement trims for reasonable prices. Edit: Well. Not too reasonable. it's ~45$ for new top and bottom trim for a 55. I bet I could make a wooden or metal trim.

I would... but, that puts you in one of two situations. Most likely, for the price of re-trimming, you can find a used tank on CL. So, it would be up to you whether you want to spend the time to retrim it (which I understand can be quite a pain), or just find a tank locally and be done with it.

Back to square one... Hmph. Well, this time maybe I'll be patient enough to find a tank with a light.

Edit: Huzzah! Found one for 50 with a light and filter. Posted two days ago so I hope he still has it.

I don't like it. While some may think the trim is decorative, it's not. The trim is structural. That center cross support keeps the tank from bowing. With the trim cracked like that, it looks to me like it could just pop right off. I wouldn't feel comfortable setting it up, and I don't worry about stuff much.

Wouldn't adding a structural cross brace to the tank resolve that issue? Whether it's factory made or owner made, a cross brace is going to create support for the long run of the tank.

I also purchased a 55 that had trim problems from CL. I went to the LFS and was told it would be around $20 for a new top trim. Didn't ask about the bottom one though. I agree with mdfrookie516 that it will be a pain and expensive to retrim it. I sold my on CL as is telling the buyer what I though for $5 less than what I paid.

Alright... Were I to make it a riparium and have 30-odd gallons in the tank, would I still necessarily need to worry about it bursting? I was thinking I'd rather do an aquarium this time around, but ripariums are fun too.

I wouldn't be worried about the cracks in the trim per se, but the centre brace is important. It seems 55s are very prone to the centre brace failing. If you are really concerned, you could silicone a piece of glass beneath the existing brace. It would need to be at least 3/8" thick and because the centre brace is still there might be difficult to install. The bottom trim is of no consequence in terms of structural integrity. If you were wanting to re trim, you would have to know the manufacturer of the tank to ensure the new trim fit. Minor discrepencies in sizing, as they occur between manufacturers, require exact sizing for the trim to fit.
In the pictured tank, if the crack at the brace were anywhere else, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Being as it is where it is, I think there is some reason for concern.

Below is a link to another forum where a number of tank braces were cracked or damaged and the tanks have been successfully repaired and brought back to life. There's one pic about a 1/4 of the way down where they made a wood rim and 3 cross braces, that looks pretty cool IMO. The tank mfg use rather cheap (IMO) polycarbonate plastic for rims that even brand new seem questionable. My 37g tall has one and it looks more like a "we tried" support brace than something that's going to out last the silicone seams.

Here's a link to the thread:

FAQs on Glass Aquarium Repair,  Braces/Cross Supports

Then do you suggest I re-trim it myself? Glasscages sells replacement trims for reasonable prices. Edit: Well. Not too reasonable. it's ~45$ for new top and bottom trim for a 55. I bet I could make a wooden or metal trim.

For that money...well just a few $$$ more... you could get and all new tank and be very happy and rest soundly knowing you won't have an issue.

Update - I bought the tank and got easily like 300$ worth of equipment. If anyone's looking for a used Remora AquaC... Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom