5g qt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is a 5Gallon QT suitable for both salt water and fresh? Obviously 2 different 5 gallons though.

I will likely keep the fresh water QT empty but do I need any live rock in the saltwater one? I figure an empty tank with live rock rubble in the filter.

You dont want any sand or rock in a sw qt as if you medicate it will leech into the sand and rock amkingit kinda useless.

Just a bare bottom tank, filter, heater and some pvc tubes for them tohide in and your set.

You dont want any sand or rock in a sw qt as if you medicate it will leech into the sand and rock amkingit kinda useless.

Just a bare bottom tank, filter, heater and some pvc tubes for them tohide in and your set.

Ok thanks so for filtration i would just have a sponge, filter floss and some biomax?

In the salt tank you can keep a sponge in the sump or tank so that beneficial bacteria colonize it. When and if you need it you just add it to the qt. If you dont have a sump you can just run a small hang on back cheap filter until the need arises.

This is the type of sponge filter I was talking about

Foam Aquarium Biological Filters: Oxygen Plus Bio-Filter 3 & 5

An aquaclear 20 is a good hangon back one too, and its like $20 or so.

When i will set them up they will be out in the open but i'd like to keep them running 24/7 and they would be under my 90G stand when i get it. I was thinking those sponge filters with a pump rated for 20G and i would split the tubing to both tanks. I'd set them up at the same time as my SW so i can wait for it to cycle regularly. Sound ok?

In theory it sounds good. But you really don't need to have them up and running all the time. You could prob use the space under the 90 for much better purposes. lol

Probably only gonna have an fx5 under there. Hopefully the stand will have a shelf for nets/food.

I know it won't be necessary to have them up and running but they'd probably stay under the stand if they weren't anyway. It would also help to have them ready since anything can happen.

I figure in small QT I should just do one species at a time right?

Also should I QT inverts and corals? It would suck looking at an empty tank for 2-4 weeks while my fish are in QT. For corals wouldn't a dip in coral Rx do?

I;ve only just begun qt'ing my fish after a bad experience. I dip my corals with coralrx and in they go after temp matching. Same with inverts, I acclimate well over two hours and in they go as well.

Some people qt everything so you'll get that viewpoint as well.
:)

I'm the impatient type so i think corals and inverts will go right away :lol: I really want to start QT because i'd rather wait a little longer and guarantee my fish will be healthy. I got ich in one of my tanks for the first time in my life. It sucked but could of been avoided with a QT.

If you remember from one of my other threads i wanted a flame angel and i figure in QT i will be able to make sure hes eating and well fed which in return will hopefully stop the temptation of nipping corals.

Back
Top Bottom