6 foot fish tanks??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been doing some research & can't seem to find a simple answer anywhere.

Can someone tell me what sizes a 6 foot tank can come in?

I'm planning on upgrading my african tank this year & DEF want a 6 footer. However, we live in a 2nd floor apt & I really didn't wanna go over 75-90gals (since the house is 150years old lol)

All help is appreciated!!

Thanks friends!! :)

My 125 is 6 feet long and 18 inches from front to back. I think 125g is the smallest that has a footprint of 6 feet unless you get into special tanks and custom ones. :)

As far as "typical" sizes go, 75 & 90 are both 4 footers. To go to a 6 footer, you will be starting at 125g.

Go to aqadvisor.com, and he has a pull-down menu of most available tank sizes in the "dimension" selection, which will then show the measurements.

There is a tank that I have seen at my Lfs. It's 6 ft by 1 ft by 1ft. I think it's 88 gallons or something like that .

I figured it would be a 125gal minimum, & those I've seen. I think they're the same width as my 55gal .. I was hoping there would be a 90breeder or something that was 6foot but I'll probably just go w/ a regular 75-90gal ORRRR since my uncle owns a glass shop, maybe I'll give making my own a shot ;) I could only imagine!!!

Looks like I gotta find out if my place can hold 1150 lbs .. Then I just need to find a 100gal tank/stand/hood combo thats under $1000 .... Sweeeet lol

haha good luck with that, the chart has been pretty accurate from my quick glances that ive used it for.

Looks like I gotta find out if my place can hold 1150 lbs ..

It's very likely. I was a construction inspector for 20yrs, and one thing I can tell you is that, back then, houses were built a lot better than the crap we build today.... why do you think it's still around after 150yrs.

Getting your landlord to sign off on it may be a whole 'nother issue, though..... especially if he/she lives below you. :lol:

The 125 and 180 are the most common/popular 6' tanks. Main difference is the 125 is 18" deep, the 180 is 24" deep. My 220 is 7'x2'x2', really love the depth (front-to-back) more than my 125. The extra 6" makes quite a difference in water flow and stocking options. Bottom line, get the biggest tank you can find/afford, size does matter.
If you do want to build your own a plywood tank with just the front panel of glass is much less expensive all around.

Back
Top Bottom