60 Gallon Cube Aquarium HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonycdh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 60 gallon cube tank that has a black plastic water spillway thing in the back of it (not really sure what its called) and a small clear hose comes out of the top of it. What is this hose for? Am i supposed to hook up an air pump to it? I bought this tank off of someone with no instructions. I just notice alot of times, the tank will gurgle (like theres air trapped) then it stops a while, then it gurgles again. I dont know, ANY help would be appreciated!

More help

The YouTube video is informative, however, not helping with my actual setup. The overflow is built into the tank and there's a plastic nipple thingy that is in the middle of the overflow and a airhose like tube is on that and the tube just hangs out of the tank for now. It's not connected to anything.

pic

redir

This is an aerial view of the back. There's a small clear hose that comes out of the top of the overflow pipe. This small clear hose is like air running and about 3 feet long and the other end just always hung there doing nothing. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with it. Thanks again for your help. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AJ3uEvpS5YvM9FU&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg
redir

is the tank a brand name one so we can find the instructions/specs for it?

is there a sump, a separate tank/container below the tank that acts as a filter or is everything in that compartment in the back?

Have you taken out the thing with the airline attached to it?
just try blowing through the airline and see what happens. that will probably give you an idea of what it's for.
if it doesn't seem to do anything and if it isn't hooked up to anything, no need for it to be there.

IF all the filter materials are in that compartment in the back, what is most likely happening is that the filter pads/media is clogging up restricting the flow of water to the bottom of it where the return pump is located, so it is draining the compartment dry and sucking air before the compartment can fill back up.
remove everything from the back compartment, rinse it lightly in some tank water ( you may as well do a partial water change while your at it) and reassemble the stuff in the order it was.
That should remedy the issue if the filter is the type I'm thinking.

Hope that helps.

Found it and a solution.
it's a Marineland 60 gallon cube.
ignore my advice above, for this particular tank that is..LOL

this guy has the same issue;
that part can't be removed.
it is the air bleeder for the overflow. no need for it to be so long.
you may have to experiment a little and increase the size of the hole for air to enter. if more air can enter there it will stop the up and down surging/gurgling you are experiencing. it is because a small airlock is happening in the drain and when the water rises enough in the overflow, it pushes the air through and it gurgles.

you can also take a small pill bottle, drill a hole for the airline to fit, then put some cotton in the bottle to muffle the sound.

Back
Top Bottom