60 Gallon Tank unleveled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess Pena

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new at setting up a large tank. My new tank I got is a 60 gallon tank and I am setting it up on the second floor of my house. I was wondering if that's why it could be unleveled and if it's safe. I added some water and substrate to it but I'm scared to add more because of how unleveled it looks. I can't place it downstairs and upstairs is my only option. Are there any precautions I should take before filling it all the way up? Or any tips for making it leveled? I wouldn't want it to tip over or crack in the back, any information is appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 50
I would drain the water, place a level on top, and use wood shims at the lowest point under the tank's stand or cabinet to level it. Be sure to run the level side to side and front to back.

You can always test how level the floor is and how level the stand is as well. What's under the floor under your setup?

Good call stopping the filling.

I would drain the water, place a level on top, and use wood shims at the lowest point under the tank's stand or cabinet to level it. Be sure to run the level side to side and front to back.

That sounds good lol. Should I level the tank on the stand or just the stand itself?

You can always test how level the floor is and how level the stand is as well. What's under the floor under your setup?

Good call stopping the filling.
Yeah I'll probably do that, and the tank and stand are just standing on carpet. Unsure of what's under the carpet though.

The thorough answer is by getting blueprints of your house or hiring a structural engineer. That might sound crazy until your second floor joins your first. When we were house hunting, my husband and I saw a listing for a house with a big, rectangular hole right in the middle of the living room ceiling. I don't know that it was from an aquarium, but I know that's what heavy things do.

Here's a good article:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

The thorough answer is by getting blueprints of your house or hiring a structural engineer. That might sound crazy until your second floor joins your first. When we were house hunting, my husband and I saw a listing for a house with a big, rectangular hole right in the middle of the living room ceiling. I don't know that it was from an aquarium, but I know that's what heavy things do.

Here's a good article:
how large an aquarium can my floor support

Oh wow.. that's what im scared of. I don't want the thug falling through the floor. My car is underneath it in the garage! Ha! I checked out that article and it's very helpful and informative, it somewhat reassured me.

So I'm very dumb and realized that my friend is an engineer and I have no idea why I haven't asked him! But I did and in conclusion, he said to level it out with some shims and it should be good to go as along as I place it in the right direction.

place a 3/4 inch thick piece of MDF or Plywood the size of the Tank/stand foot print. (Decore to suit)
Level the assembly between the stand & plywood/MDF.
I used these.
Polypropylene Shims - Lee Valley Tools
Notice they are flat NOT wedges.
they start @ 1/32" & go to 1/4".
so tank would be less than 1/64th of an inch off level when your done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom