60" Orbit CF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditchdoctor81

Aquarium Advice Regular
Looking at getting this for our 100g. I know that it only comes with 2x65w Dual Daylight and 2x65w Dual Actinic for a total of 260 watts. They make 96w & 130w bulbs...would it be a problem to buy higher watt bulbs to get more lights than the 65w bulbs?

If we didn't get the higher watt bulbs, or if we aren't able to get stronger bulbs what we be able to keep with it (if anything)? Maybe shrooms?

Also, here is a pic of the 60" light. What are the lengths of the bulbs?
orbitcf.jpg

You wont be able to use those bulbs with the 65w ballasts. That would be basic lighting for a FOWLR tank IMO. Thats not to say you couldnt do some low light corals, but they generally need more care IME. The way I see it, if your wanting to do reef just buy everything the first time out, you will get the itch and be upgrading sooner than you think.

That's what I thought....the Outer Orbit HQI is probably what we will go with2x150 HQI & 2x130w total of 560. I would rather get that now than pay $250 now & then $690 in a few months.

So with the 560 total watts what would we be able to keep?

Well...I have a total of 570w on my 72g tank. 7.91wpg. Not knowing what your tank dimensions are I would think that you could keep most LPS and some SPS if they are in the top portion of the tank. If you have a 48" tank that is over 24" deep the light may not get good penetration to the bottom of the tank.

Why waste $250? Why not just use the NO tubes the tank probably came with and spend that on some LR or save it for the MH fixture. Just a thought. It will be better to wait a few months before adding corals anyway.

24" is pretty deep and requires some strong lighting to get to the bottom. I take it that your tank is 48x24x24 or something close to that right? I agree with Marc, save the money and use what you have for now, your tank will need to mature a bit before putting corals in. IF it were me I would be looking at a 2x250w HQI system. The extra wattage will allow you to place corals deeper in the tank.

Marc118 said:
Why waste $250? Why not just use the NO tubes the tank probably came with and spend that on some LR or save it for the MH fixture. Just a thought. It will be better to wait a few months before adding corals anyway.

I'm not planning on wasting the $250. I said earlier:

ditchdoctor81 said:
That's what I thought....the Outer Orbit HQI is probably what we will go with2x150 HQI & 2x130w total of 560. I would rather get that now than pay $250 now & then $690 in a few months.

:D

Must have read that wrong, thought you were saying you would rather buy the CF fixture now and spend $700 later...lol

I agree, go for the 250. Im using 2x150 on my 60g.

Ziggy953 said:
24" is pretty deep and requires some strong lighting to get to the bottom. I take it that your tank is 48x24x24 or something close to that right? I agree with Marc, save the money and use what you have for now, your tank will need to mature a bit before putting corals in. IF it were me I would be looking at a 2x250w HQI system. The extra wattage will allow you to place corals deeper in the tank.

it's 60Lx16Wx24T

I would go with a 3 bulb fixture if it is 60" long, a dual bulb setup will leave you with dark spots on either end. Most of the time the 2 bulb systems are only 48" long. A 60" fixture is going to have 3 bulbs in it. I would still go with the 250w HQI.

Back
Top Bottom