Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2006, 06:52 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Joester2k3 Send a message via Yahoo to Joester2k3
So would the Nova system be considered low to moderate lighting????? or moderate to high???? i know its not high to intense lol

Old 01-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
At 156w that would be considered low to moderate lighting at 2.4w per gal. Even then some moderate light corals would have to be placed higher in order to get enough light since your tank is 24‚ÄĚ deep.

Also keep in mind that a lot of low to moderate light corals can be difficult to feed since photosynthesis is not how they feed. I would brose liveaquaria.com for more ideas on what you can keep and what they require looking for coral that is not only low to moderate light but also easy to moderate in difficulty in keeping.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:50 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay Should i go with a
36" 342 watt total: 1-150 watt HQI; 2-96 watt 4 lunar (Outer Orbit)
or
36" 384 watt total: (4 - 96 watts) 3 Lunar Lights (Orbit Compact Fluorescent)

Is the HQI worth the extra $50?

Thanks guys
Old 01-29-2006, 10:07 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you haave a canopy? Or are you looking for the fixture?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:23 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am in the same boat. I am looking around for the best deal I can find on lighting. You might could go with 2x175 10k metal halide. and 2x96w power compacts. I use the watt/gal. just as a basic idea of what I want. That would give you about 542w. Just under 7w/gal.
Melissa
Old 01-29-2006, 10:41 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just want to be able to have some corals and an anenome for my clowns
Old 01-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wish that odysae had a better rep than they have because they have some descent prices. but then again if they did the prices would probably be higher. I am really looking though and if I find anything I will let you know. Someone told me to check out www.petsolutions.com. I havent had a chance yet but you might could look there.
Melissa
Old 01-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

alright sweet
Old 01-29-2006, 11:36 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

I dont know if you tried this yet but if you go to the forum home page scroll down to buy sell trade and click on sponsor forum. There is a list of sites there.
Melissa
Old 01-30-2006, 12:22 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't go for the T-5s. Don't sell yourself short. Buy the one with HQI. You won't regret it. It will give you more choices. For $50 extra, it's so worth.

With that said, you may need to consider DIY-ing an extra fan in there or something. Or else, you may end up with an aquarium stew. Or, you can get a chiller. To Keep It Simple Sir, you may stick with PCs and worry less of temp fluctuations.

I have an Orbit. I like it. 4x65 W actinic/sunpaq daylights with white moon lights. magnificent. I like Orbit. The setup is really quality made.

Yes, I know that I will be limited to what types of animals I can put in there. However, I know for a fact that I am not going beyond shrooms, bubble corals, and leather and polyps. I am not for intricate setups with intricate animals. Just enough to keep me busy and relaxed at the same time.

So: 4x96 is decent. It wouldn't have too much temp problems. But you are limited to animals you can house. HQI's, you can have anemone, SPS, LPS, and gorgonias and stuff. You can either choose the KISS route or the "I want choices" route. The choices come with extra responsibilities and possible extra required gadgets too. Good luck!

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com